Just to add to the fun . . . .

BettyMac
BettyMac Member Posts: 201
edited 26. Apr 2019, 06:49 in Living with arthritis
I’m just back from a visit to the dermatologist to see about the scabby patch on my scalp which hasn’t healed since October.
Given that I’m on Benepali and MTX, he wants to do a “shave excision” to rule out basal cell carcinoma - what used to be called a “rodent ulcer”.

While I was there, I asked about the other bothersome areas of skin on my forehead and ears - and my fuisty toenails.
It seems I have eczema AND psoriasis. There are so many types of each and they do seem to be related quite closely to each other.
He’s recommended upping the MTX, if the rheumy agrees.
It seems I have to choose between itchy bits of skin and grotty toenails - or feeling feeling sick 5/7 days.
If it wasn’t for the sleep disturbance, I’d take itchy over pukey any day of the week!

Och well. As my dear old mum used to say, “Just be glad you’ve nothing worse to worry about”.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good to see that you have retained a semblance of a sense of humour :D I've got grotty toenails too and the chiropodist that cuts them for me said not to bother getting them treated as it takes up to a year and rarely works anyway (not that I could put the stuff on them anyway!). Luckily I don't wear open toed shoes so there is no need to paint or display them.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    One has to keep a sense of humour, Mike1, albeit occasionally verging on the gallows type when things get a bit more “challenging”
    :lol:

Glad to say that, at the moment, I can just about manage to cut the toe nails after a soak - though it’d be a lot easier if I could lose the tummy that gets in the way.

I used to paint the nails in the summer - but it became a bit like bungy jumping - reach past the tummy with the loaded brush and slap it on the nail before you get flung back up again.
    :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh heck, I am sorry and can empathise: as you probably know both eczema and psoriasis are caused by an over-active immune system, I was born with eczema and the psoriasis came along after I began the arthritis. It came as a huge relief when the steroid creams were invented, at long-last there was something that dealt with the irritation, splitting and bleeding and now I have Dovobet to help with my occasional psoriasis. My finger nails are in trouble at the moment, many have peeled and flaked away, leaving me with air under the nail bed which is an absolutely gorgeous pain (and I mean that, pressing the site hurts but is exquisite!) PsA can cause thickened, ridged and flaky nails, my toenails are OK but tend to fall off, I have had a manicure every three weeks for longer than I have had PsA and it's only now that the nails are beginning to misbehave so I might increase that to fortnightly.

I take 15mgs of meth per week via injection, are you still on the tablets? Meth is a recognised treatment for psoriasis (any med that reduces immune system activity is used including sulphasalazine) so there are others to choose from. I am so sorry, I hope you can find something to help sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute but I do love the bungee jumping image of toenail cutting. Mr SW is starting to go that way too. Perhaps you could meet up and cut each others :wink: My fingers can't get near.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    What about those little fish that eat all the dead skin on your feet, surely they have some more enthisiastic cousins to help with your toenails? ;-)
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    What about those little fish that eat all the dead skin on your feet, surely they have some more enthisiastic cousins to help with your toenails? ;-)

Conger eels would do it!