Pillows

Mike1
Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
edited 27. Apr 2019, 02:23 in Living with arthritis
I have Degenerative Facet joint disease, osteoarthritis which combined with a detached disc in my neck cause significant problems when trying to sleep. I wear a neck brace when out and about and take morphine. During the past couple of years I must have spent £hundreds on trying to find a pillow that will be comfortable enough to help me sleep and prevent me from waking up screaming at 3 or 4 in the morning like I usually do. As a result I rarely get more than a couple of hours kip a night. I think I must have tried most kinds of pillows that are available BUT do any of you have any suggestions or bright ideas?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that it isn't the pillows, the duvet, the mattress, the shoes, the car or anything else that's at fault, it's my blasted body. No matter what measures I take, including pain dullers, the pain will break through and regularly does. I initially slept a little better with my new Tempur XLarge contoured pillow but now it's back to normal, 90 minute shallow kip, dream about climbing some stairs or a hill and I'm awake again. :lol: I also have a Tempur pillow between my legs (I'm a side-sleeoer) and that takes the weight off the lower leg whilst supporting the upper hip. When I broke my upper humerus I had to sleep sitting upright and then I found my V shaped pillow handy, have you tried one of those? Is there such a thing as a night or sleeping neck brace? Poor quality sleep is a common issue on here, we can all empathise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Hi Mike1 I have tried all sorts of expensive pillows but found they were often the wrong thickness to keep my neck in a comfortable position as I am quite small. I found buying cheaper rebound ones good as I am able to bash and mould them to be comfortable for a few hours at a time when I wake and repeat the remoulding process. Lack of sleep unfortunately seems to go with these conditions I hope you can find something that helps.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Hi Mike

I don’t have the neck problems that you have to contend with but if my pillows aren’t just right, I can’t sleep and I end up with a sore neck for several days.
    There’s some nasty crepitus in my neck vertebrae which I’m currently sticking my head in the sand about as I fear adding yet another problem to my list!
    I’ve gone back to using feather pillows - goose down, if I can find them cheap enough in a sale. They’re still expensive but I’d rather do without other things.

I do hope you can find something which will help you get better sleep.
  • Mike1
    Thanks all, the only one I have not tried is a V pillow so I will order one and see what happens! I have tried the others with no effect so it probably is a case of my conditions causing the issue. I do manage to nod off during the afternoon for half and hour whilst in my recliner - in fact I often sit in it during the night as I kip better in it although I have an adjustable bed. I have been told that I can sleep in my neck brace but it is too uncomfortable when lying down.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I take my shaped memory foam pillow everywhere with me but they"re not everyone's choice. My son, when he had a neck problem (not joints but too much fast bowling) bought and loved a water pillow. Same as a water bed. He lives in USA. I don't know if they're available in UK.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mike1
    Water pillows are available from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mediflow-Waterbase-Fibrefill-Pillow-Regular/dp/B003J372NS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17B4TBWHFWRDB&keywords=water+pillows+for+neck+pain+sufferers&qid=1556171244&s=gateway&sprefix=water+pillow,aps,215&sr=8-1

I have tried one in the past which worked OK for a week or so - like most new pillows do for me - then it became uncomfortable.

Hi,
    Whilst its great to see the link provided to get a look at the actual product and to see what others have found when using it, please remember there are many sites online and in the High Street that offer these items. Also it can sometimes be best to chat to your health professionals first.
    Take care, Yvonne
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Have you tried a soft collar it might be more comfortable than your neck brace and give you some support.
  • Mike1
    Have you tried a soft collar it might be more comfortable than your neck brace and give you some support.

I meant semi-rigid soft collar, sorry.

About the pillow, thanks for highlighting that there are many other sites, I only mentioned Amazon as it was easier and people can see the feedback from others. I asked my OTs about pillows and they couldn't advise anything and I told them about the water pillow, they said try anything which may help!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I use the shaped IKEA pillows to take the weight off of my shoulders which are a pain. I used to suffer neck pain after an injury that went on for years and used a firm piece of foam and folded into a v shape like a pyramid and slept with my neck over the top of the pyramid shape, that certainly helped get me sorted. Upon waking it felt so relaxed and painfree, when ueed it felt like a gentle stretching action as the foam tried to remake its former shape.

I have a 'U' shape hard foam collar that heats and massages the neck but haven't felt the need lately, perhaps the use of a similar device before bed might help?
  • Mike1
    Thanks for the suggestion Airwave. I didn't even know such items exist. I did an on-line search and found a massaging heat collar that can be used on the neck, back, lower back etc with a strap on it to adjust the pressure by pulling it tighter. It had great feedback and was less than half price so I ordered one which will be delivered on Monday so can't wait.

The V pillow arrived yesterday, I put the pillow case on after a bit of a battle, put it in my bed and 10 minutes later there was my cat curled up in the middle of it! :animal_busy: It seemed to work though because I got a whole 4 hours kip.