Bent Over

Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 15. May 2019, 11:38 in Living with arthritis
Due to my back and groin pain i am severely and increasingly bent over woth my head leaning more and more towards my thighs

Anyone got any ideas whats going to help. Will be having physio . Will a belt or some sort of brace help to pull me more upright

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

Probably best to speak to your GP about this whilst you wait for your physio. My late Dad had osteoarthritis all over including his spine/neck and he became slightly bent. He was told that because he'd naturally stooped over due to the pain, the muscles surrounding his spine etc., had shortened. Sadly he wasn't strong enough (we lost him due to lung cancer aged 88) to really get 100% upright again, although he did try his best, bless him.

Can you ring your physio? See where you are in the queue, how long you'll wait and ask if they can put you on the cancellation list? You may be seen slightly quicker then.

I hope you get some answers and relief soon.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Lotsofpain
    Thanks Grace thats helpful to know. Sorry about your dad. Fortunately physio starts wednesday but it will help with how i present to him
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What Graceb wrote makes absolute sense to me. Keep the muscles strong with exercises. It won't stop joint damage but will help with the consequences. Get physio advice as the neck is an important area. Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lotsofpain
    thanks its not my neck more the base of the spine but your point is well made
  • Lotsofpain
    tried to post image but it does not seem to work
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think Sticky was making the point that, when one is bent over, to look ahead forces one to bend the neck upwards to raise eye level so one can see more. I've seen people with Dowager's Hump straining their necks to look ahead but they end up looking at the ground.

Whatever you try to remedy this situation will hurt something somewhere. Doing my exercises hurts but I know they are helping to strengthen my muscles to better support my damaged joints. I know they also help to improve my physical stamina. Using the rollator has helped to maintain a more upright posture because it offers balanced support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lotsofpain
    OK I get it thanks yes been thinking of getting a rollater supermarket trolley definitely helps
  • dreamdaisy
    The key with physio exercises is to keep doing them regularly. I still do, on a daily basis, the ones I was given after my first synovectomy back in 2002.

As for the rollator I hope you will get one that allows you to stand between the handles rather than the more common that means you have standing behind it. Yes, they are the cheapest but they also force you to lean forward. My first one was of that ilk, my Ma bought it for me when I was 48, but I soon graduated to the other kind because I was aware that leaning forward to push would bring further troubles. I have a basic Topro which is lightweight, folds in half vertically and lives in my husband's car. The one in mine came from the charity shop and had been rejected by a 90 year old . That came from Argos, is heavier but folds flat both vertically and horizontally, which can be very useful. DD
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Hi Loadsofpain, I can only speak from experience, I have OA RA and was diagnosed with spinal degeneration when I was 40 yrs old 20 yrs ago. Over a couple of years my spinal pain got worse I was walking with 2 fisher sticks but I was aware that I wasn't maintaining a good posture as the sticks were not right height. After a fight with GP ( neurosurgeon had washed his hands of me cervical damage inoperable) I was referred to community hospital and given elbow crutches which put me in a much better position. I found that leaning forward made both my neck and lower spine worse.
    I had a failed spinal injection and was told by nero to use a wheelchair if walking painful , I have not resorted to that yet. I found a good physio (sport injury trained with special interest in rehab ) I started one to one exercise program and then I was able to join the pilates group for those with arthritus and spinal problems. 3 years on and an awful lot of exercises later I still use the crutches but I am able to mobilise with less pain and to maintain a better posture. The muscles down my spine are much stronger which helps with moving in bed and I fall less often.
    I hope you find the rollator helps.
  • Lotsofpain

This is how I look these days
  • Lotsofpain
    Thats not actualy me, though it might as well be. JUst learning hoe to add images to posts to this forum
  • dreamdaisy
    You can see the strain being placed upon the neck so do your best to not let that happen to you. Me being me, I wonder why they are in that position. Upper back trouble? Lower back trouble? Age? Is it a model posing for an article? Probably. :lol:

I'm like that when I first get up but as I move around things begin to open up, unknot and uncurl, painfully but I make it happen because I do not want to make more trouble for myself: we all have enough, yes? DD