Do as I say, not as I do

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,708
edited 25. May 2019, 14:21 in Living with arthritis
How many times do I tell newbies to take their bodies into account, not overdo things, rest and exercise when they have overdone things and not just plough on? Well, here I am, guilty as charged :oops:

All was going well until Mr SW accidentally dug up my Japanese Anemone for the second year running. (His fault, you see, not mine :wink: ) He also dug up the daffs in that bed (the one that cheers me as I'm washing up) so that he could plant his ----ing dahlias. I'd already done a fair bit that day but, nonetheless, I marched him straight to the garden centre to buy another new Japanese anemone. He then bought some bedding plants for the same bed - begonias which I also dislike - so I did too but ones I liked

By the time I got home my 38yr old TKR, which is no longer anywhere near where it should be, was loudly telling me enough was enough. But the washing had to be brought in and the meal prepared and I was in no mood to ask for help from the Japanese anemone assassin :roll: So I ploughed on.

Next day there was no disguising the problem. It was bad but I was relatively sensible all week until Thursday. We'd been invited to lunch by a lovely couple whose house we'd never visited before. It involved stepping down a big kerb (I have to lead with that knee. It won't bend far enough to come second) and an enormous step into the house. The lunch and company were good but my knee had had enough so it was positively barmy of me to say yes when our son phoned on our way home to ask if we fancied a BBQ. I don't even like BBQs but Mr SW loves them and I do like our son :wink: so I opted for more steps and more gravel. (My knee hates gravel.)

So Friday and Saturday were as tough as I deserved. I am finally being sensible - resting and doing lots of execises (little and often) and little else. Exactly what I'd tell others to do. So, please, you know it makes sense. Do as I say, not as I - stupidly - do.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear, but sometimes we just have to do what we do-I went to the garden centre too yesterday with hubby and daughter, bought too many plants for the tubs and pots and insisted on supervising (interfering) as they were planted- today I'm exhausted and sore so resting more.

Hope you rest a lot!!!! And maybe the plant assassin makes reparation in terms of many cups of tea, making you a little lunch, brings cake etc.

May the rest restore you and the pain subside. xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Life is there to be lived as and when we can, as best we can and **** the consequences BUT there are times when we have to rein in our enthusiasms and lead a life more compromised than usual. :x I've overdone things too, shall we loll about doing very little together? We could summon the Spouses to provide tea, food and limited company, I have a cow bell . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Thank you both for your kind words and, DD, oh yes let us be ladies who loll :D I shall arrive bearing choccie bikkies. The cow bell sounds a great idea though I fear a little selective deafness might occur.

I have been boringly good today and I think I detect a miniscule improvement. I shall endeavour to be boringly good all week. Please ring for room service, DD.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Things were a little better yesterday. I could actually put one foot in front of the other which does aid walking :wink: However, after a restful day, I got restless and prepared the evening meal. Bad mistake. What a plonker!

So today I will be boring everyone on the forum and cracking on with my photo albums for our sons in an attempt not to think about the consequences if I can't get it back where it was.

I think the most accurate description would be
    and ---- and
    ---- ----. Plus, of course, what a
    I am :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • vickyp
    vickyp Member Posts: 27
    From what I have seen around here boring is not a word I would have applied to you Stickywicket. :lol: I hope you are feeling somewhat restored today.

Warm wishes
    Vicky
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, vickyp. It's very kind of you to say so and much appreciated.

I honestly don't know which way this is going. Yesterday was horrible but today seems fractionally better. I have promised Mr. SW that I'll ring my surgeon's secretary on Friday unless progress has been made. OK, actually it was he who threatened me with ringing her :roll: but he's right. I was in danger of falling over every time I tried to walk yesterday so best not to complicate matters with broken limbs :lol: Today I feel in very slightly less danger so I'm hanging on to that (in addition to the furniture :wink: ). And hoping. Fingers and toes crossed.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I looked the tittle and thought, 'theres one to get into'. Curious how our brain fools us jsn't it! Sticky this is obvisously uour fault, when you shout your instructions at mr sw, you are not SHOUTING LOUDLY ENOUGH😂😂😂
  • vickyp
    I was in danger of falling over every time I tried to walk yesterday so best not to complicate matters with broken limbs :lol: Today I feel in very slightly less danger so I'm hanging on to that (in addition to the furniture :wink: ).

Hoping the furniture survived SW! :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Airwave - if I tell him that may I say the advice came from you :lol:

vickyp - Thank you. The furniture and I are bearing up well :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • vickyp
    That is good to hear SW. :)