Cortisone injection

Daisymae
Daisymae Member Posts: 50
edited 30. May 2019, 04:08 in Living with arthritis
What are other people's experiences of injection into the knee. I had one yesterday and the pain has eased quite a bit.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There's no one-size-fits-all, daisymae. For me, they worked well, usually, for about 8 weeks though the more I had the less they worked. Some get no respite at all. Take things easy today so as to try to keep the injected stuff in the knee where it's needed. I hope you get a good result.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They never worked for my auto-immune arthritis but one did for my osteoarthritis:. I had three good months in my right ankle, no pain there and it slightly reduced it elsewhere which was pleasant. After three months it faded, the pain returned and I don't bother with them now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lizzie
    Lizzie Member Posts: 5
    Hello
    I have severe OA in my spine.. neck, thoracic and lumbar.
    My worst symptom is stiffness. Would cortisone injections in my spine help?
    Several years ago I had them in my toe. The first one worked well but I had a cortisone reaction to the second one. Would this happen again?
    Lizzie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello Lizzie welcome to the forums from the moderating team. Apologies to Daisymae for hijacking your thread.

I am very sorry to hear about your severe spinal pain and the impact it is having on you.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis. I know they will make you very welcome and share their own experience, but in the meantime I hope the following links might be of interest.

This link is about back pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/

This one is the NHS information about steroid injections:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/steroid-injections/

It does refer to those who have had a previous recation to steroid injections needing to tell their Dr.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Lizzie and welcome from me, too. I've had cortisone injections n knees and the 'general' ones into my rear end but my sine is not too bad.

The injections, judging from posts on here, not only vary from one person to another but also from one injection to another ie there's no saying whether they'll help or not. I think, as regards reactions, you'd be better asking your surgeon or, at least, your GP. I'm sure, if there was a big danger of it making things worse, it wouldn't be offered n the first place but I always like to ask these things.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lizzie
    Lizzie Member Posts: 5
    Hello again

Thank you all for your comments re cortisone injections.
    I have an appointment at the pain management clinic later this week so I'm hoping I'll feel that there may be a bit of a plan emerging...I m feeling the relentlesness of spinal OA at the moment.At least if its in a joint you can have a replacement,but this just seems to go on and on. I'm sorry to moan.
    Lizzie
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have a few Cortisone injections for OA, alas to no avail, they just don't work on me.

As the crystals in the fluid are slightly too large they get stuck in the arterioles for a day or two until they dissolve which can be uncomfortable for some but not a long term problem.