My DLA is ending.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 9. Jun 2019, 07:00 in Work and financial support
Since the advent of PIP I had a feeling this would be on the cards and five years or so on I received today the official notification that I need to apply for the replacement benefit.

I am curious about how things will proceed - having been in receipt of higher rate mobility DLA since 2007 and with things being considerably worse one would hope that the transfer will be relatively straightforward but with the healthy assessing the sick and targets to be met in reducing the number of claimants it will be an experience.

I have crutches, two rollators and a mobility scooter. The number of affected joints has grown since 2007 as has the number of conditions (from one to three, none curable). I also have a BB but I am prepared to be called in for a chat / assessment / interview / complete misrepresentation of my life. :lol: A friend has sent me a link to the CAB and their advice which I will I read when I am more alert and, me being me, I will not read on-line accounts of others' experiences because they are of no relevance to me, my situation and who will be dealing with me. Wot larks lie ahead, Pip, with PIP? :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    DD I am so sorry I find getting any letter from the DWP causes me stress after what we went through several years ago. I was advised to look at the website benefitsandwork.co.uk and found it helpful. There is a lot of information so it takes a great deal of time to go through and digest, but I found it helped me. I wish you luck.Stella
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Clearly, they have a bit of spare time on their hands if they 're calling up the likes of you :wink: (No offence meant :D )

Even so, we've only to read the rest of the posts in this forum to know such assessments must be given far more consideration than they merit. So do, please, take it very seriously even if it does seem as ridiculous to you as it does to me.

dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have crutches, two rollators and a mobility scooter. The number of affected joints has grown since 2007 as has the number of conditions (from one to three, none curable). I also have a BB

I fear all of the latter will be irrelevant unless a health professional writes that you need the aids (Anyone can come by them and limp) and how many limbs are affected. Be prepared to be demoralised :roll: Instead of your natural instinct to forge ahead despite all that arthritis chucks at you, you will be required to reveal your inadequacies. Far better, both for your morale and the outcome, to trust your health professionals to do that for you in writing. Even if, like me, you avoid all docs whenever possible, they have your notes and your medical history.

Good luck, old girl, as I believe you've said is a regular mantra in the DD household :D And please let us know the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, both of you, for taking the time to reply. I admit this will be a new experience and I will do some research but via Mr DD: he is in a far better position than my good self to read, absorb and tell me what's what. I'm not worried or stressed - yet. :|

The first step is for me to ring and give them all the information they already have but first I have to gather it from all round the house for me; I think this is the time to begin a new folder (not electronic) for this fresh endeavour. (DD wanders off to sharpen pencils, find rubbers, staplers and alphabet dividers, including B for Brainless, M for Morons, P for Prats and R for repetition. )
  • dreamdaisy
    The PIP ball is rolling. I rang, answered all their questions, gave them the required information and now await the arrival of the PIP2 form. I will complete that and return it then I guess the fun and games might begin.

I began to wonder why my expectations of this process are low then realised I am aware only of those who fail rather than those who are successful. DD
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi DD, I went through the "change" - for want of another word :shock: at the back end of last year. From indefinite DLA mobility and care.

The more your health care peoples, who know you well and your various problems, can write in their report, the better - which you can send in with the rather lengthy form that will drop on the door mat.

It is all based on how your illness affects you, not what is wrong with you - I know, it is crazy. :roll: :roll:
    How much time is spent doing tasks and how much help you receive, even if you don't get it - :? :?

99% of people changing over to PIP, have a face to face assessment. My assessor was a nurse, they can be any health care professional, Dr, Physio, Paramedic, OT, etc.

You are watched like a hawk, from the second you arrive.

As with all forms, copies of everything and anything are a must have, for you to keep and refer to.

I am rambling, the forms have to arrive first.........if I can help further I most certainly will, along with many of us who have been through the new "process" XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Aidan, thank you so much for looking in and offering support. The form arrived yesterday and made for some interesting reading. :lol: I am going to photocopy it and do dummy runs in pencil before I complete it formally.

My DLA is / was higher rate mobility only and as I can walk further than 200 metres using my aids I can see the PIP element of that going for a Burton Surely the whole point of the aids is to help me get about? I shall make it clear throughout that the DLA is the way I have been able to fund many of the changes I have had to make in my life due to the development of the arthritis. I'm not bothering with it this weekend though, it's a task for next week.

I hope you and yours are as well as you can be. DD
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    You are most welcome DD. :D:D
    You are doing pretty much what we did when the forms arrived, OH wrote a lot of things out for me, in rough, before committing ink to paper.

I found this site quite helpful - you may have seen it already.........

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Personal-Independence-Payment-Test/What-is-the-PIP-test

I was asked about aids and adaptations, making sure that I mentioned the OT who came to our bungalow, anything that has been "prescribed" by a HC Professional scores more highly.

It does cost us a lot more, to adapt, as time goes on and arthur's grip becomes tighter.

Enjoy the week end and start the lengthy forms, next week. Take care, XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, the dummy runs are done and this dummy is wondering what those dummies will make of it all. As The Spouse wisely pointed out the form is all about fulfilling their needs rather than mine. :) This afternoon I shall load my favourite fountain pen with black ink and start the laborious process of filling it in, using capitals rather than my usual enormous leggy scrawl.

My hands hurt. :roll: DD