Nerve pain

carwig
carwig Member Posts: 3
edited 30. May 2019, 01:43 in Living with arthritis
Hi,

I have 3 bulging discs in my lumbar spine, with other degenerative changes (but they say there is no nerve impingement). For the last eight months I haven’t been able to sit or lay down without pain. The pain is a sore/burning pain, which increases the longer I sit or lay down, I also have tingling in the saddle area, down the back of the thighs, into the the feet and toes (on both sides), it’s driving me mad! it is more prominent on the right side. I have had physio, osteopathy, I do stretching and strengthening exercises everyday but still no relief.
Would just like to know if anyone has any experience of this pain and can offer any advice.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello carwig and welcome to the forums from the moderating team.

I am very sorry to hear about your back pain and the impact it is having on you. I wonder what medications you have tried and what tests have been done. It’s very good to hear you do your physiotherapy exercises regularly.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis. I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can, but in the meantime I hope the following links might be of interest.

This link is about back pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/

This one is about managing pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • carwig
    carwig Member Posts: 3
    moderator wrote:
    Hello carwig and welcome to the forums from the moderating team.

I am very sorry to hear about your back pain and the impact it is having on you. I wonder what medications you have tried and what tests have been done. It’s very good to hear you do your physiotherapy exercises regularly.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis. I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can, but in the meantime I hope the following links might be of interest.

This link is about back pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/

This one is about managing pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Carwig,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering, and have been for so long. I have bulging discs, disc dessication and impingement on the nerve roots so understand your pain. Sadly mine occurred acutely whilst I was on holiday in South Africa and I was medically evacuated after 19 days in hospital.

I wonder if you have effective pain relief from your medical team. I currently take a combination of cocodamol, gabapentin and naproxen and it helps a lot, though truthfully I suspect it takes my brain away from the pain rather than kills the pain-I'm mostly pretty spaced out and woolly headed. What I do find help is lying flat for short periods of time through the day to take the pressure off the routes caused by the bulging discs, I don't know whether you have an opportunity to do it, but it may help. I also find a hot water bottle helps on the bits that hurt in my back. I get a lot of pain across the lower back and into the groin and outer hip-it burns rather than stabs, and being flat is really the only thing that helps.

I'm sure others will be along to share their experiences soon.

Deb x
  • Kazziwaz
    Kazziwaz Member Posts: 32
    Hi
    I have been experiencing pain which travels down my legs, mostly when I sit or lie down. I am awaiting results of a nerve induction study I had but in the meantime I was put on gabapentin which didn't agree with me although it did ease the pain. I've since come off it and am now managing with pain relief waiting to see the consultant.
    Have you tried anything for it?
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    As regards back pain(thorasic, sacral), I find regular exrrcise, heat and rest is good, staying away from any lifting, overdoing any work, gardening etc etc and laying on the settee feeling sorry for yourself is a big 'no no!' A friend of mine now has big heart problems because of this.

All life is a bakance.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello carwig

Like the name!

I also have nerve pain and had back surgery many years ago now.

What tests have 'they' done? The surgeon who did my back said he could have saved permanent nerve damage for me if he had operated 2 years earlier :roll: I didn't get an MRI until it was too late really.

I have tried Gabapentin in the past up to the max dose and although it was the only medication I ever tried which didn't cause any side effects for me it also did nothing to help the nerve pain :roll:

Amitriptyline is what I take for it now and I think it helps a little.

Other than that I also keep mobile as far as possible and maintain a healthy weight and still do my physio exercises.

Best of luck

Toni x