New walking sticks!

Options
kfrweaving
kfrweaving Member Posts: 45
edited 31. May 2019, 13:13 in Living with arthritis
Got a new pair of walking sticks today. Contoured handles. Previously i had these awful elbow crutches that were a complete disaster as i kept tripping up, they kept falling to the ground and basically they just got in the way of everything. Prior to the elbow crutches i was using one walking stick. But my physio noticed that i was developing a bad posture and my feet were too close together so not surprisingly i was tripping and falling over. I don't have a good sense of balance due to epilepsy drugs anyway. But having the two sticks on either side has made a huge difference. Walking up the road today without the elbow crutches felt like freedom! But the once benefit about the elbow crutches is that i paid more attention to how i was spacing my feet when walking and keeping my back straight so the physio said that the way i was walking looked better. It's just the balance that is the issue. With my arthritic hip just the slightest thing can cause pain and i can lose my balance.
Still waiting to her about my appeal regarding my PIP and ESA!

Comments

• vickyp
    vickyp Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good news about the new sticks. I am guessing it might take a little time to adjust to new ones? Do let us know how you get on. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm so glad they help. Anything that helps and makes us feel better is surely to be welcomed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm the other way round, love the crutches (I've always used two) and feel unsafe with sticks as they do not offer enough support (although I use them indoors from time to time). My first crutches were closed cuff elbow so, if I needed to let go of one or both, they would dangle from my forearms. In restaurants etc I would stand them upside down, they balanced better that way.

I was fortunate in that I was taught how to use walking aids, was told what to be conscious of when walking and how to preserve my posture, to this day my heart sinks when I see so many people misusing their sticks, crutches and rollators.

I've begun my application for PIP,. my DLA has to end despite being a lifetime award and I realise that's no guarantee that I will be awarded the new benefit. Fun and games and a spot of irritation might be in the way . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    Options
    This great news that you have new walking sticks, I'm so please.
    Regards
    Marcia