Advice

Options
FeelingOld
FeelingOld Member Posts: 5
edited 17. Jun 2019, 11:00 in Chat to our Helpline Team
Hi. As yet I am undiagnosed but have a family history of Rheumatoid/inflammatory arthritis.
Both my knees stiffened up at the beginning of May but weren't painful just uncomfortable, then 2 weeks later my left knee became swollen and painful. I rested, kept it raised, did ice packs, all of which were great, but when I started doing things it all just came back. Then I went on holiday and drove for over 2 hours (both knees supported with tubigrips). But pain in right knee started after about an hour and the following day my right knee had swollen to nearly double the size. During the week I did what I could to support both knees but worried about driving home. Someone suggested putting support above and below the knee for the return journey which worked well and got me home safely.
Since then I have read up about arthritis and have started a daily routine of gentle exercises and keeping mobile. Things have gradually improved and during the day I can pretty much do most things without thinking about them. (Although my left knee can still be painful at times, the right knee is still swollen a bit and both are stiff first thing in the morning).
Bottom line is that I have had xrays done and am awaiting the results but it seems such a long process to get a diagnosis. So after all this waffle......Can osteo and rheumatoid arthritis just back off and symptoms ease without any treatment (or diagnosis)? I just want to know my facts before I go back to the GP! And is this progression of symptoms normal for arthritis? Thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi FeelingOld

Thank you for your forum posting. I am sorry you have been waiting so long but it is always best to get a diagnosis of your symptoms. Once you have this then treatment and management will be appropriate to that particular condition.
    There are some differences in the treatment of these conditions. If you look at the links below then you will be able to see the treatment and management for both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis on our website.
    It is not possible for us to say how symptoms will be in the future but the purpose of the treatment is for the conditions to be managed as far as possible. Treatments provide relief from symptoms and allow you to get on with your life.
    You may wish to talk this through with your GP. You can also call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team. We are open between 9am – 8pm (weekdays) and our freephone number is 0800 520 0520.
    Osteoarthritis information can be found here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/
    Information about rheumatoid arthritis can be found here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/
    I hope this is helpful for you.

Best Wishes
    Dawn