Discount cards

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
edited 20. Aug 2019, 11:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Collating info here from the cinema card thread.

Take care
Mod
YEH

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Alice's Mum said

I was quite surprised to learn recently that people receiving DLA are entitled to a CEA card which gives free entry for a carer at the cinema. Thought it may be useful info for those who are not aware. Here is the link.

www.ceacard.co.uk
  • [Deleted User]
    Freesia says

Another tip - my mother-in-law, loves to visit gardens & country houses ect...

She can't drive herself (she's in her late 70's) and my brother-in-law takes her round these places....

She is NOT disabled, but an active OAP - lately, the ticket offices has been asking her if my brother-in-law is "her carer" because he can then get in FREE...!!

So she has been saying yes... so he gets in free... (they just pay her concession admission charge) Mind you it's not somewhere he would normally go out of choice... It's just for mother-in-law....
  • [Deleted User]
    Pepperflo says

If anyone has a passport to leisure card this also entitles a carer to get in free, I use mine for going swimming. these cards are also free and last up to 12 months and allow you into certain places cheaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    Consessionary bus tickets. another one to point out is that people who qualify for higher rate mobillity can also apply for consessionary bus fares. Forms are held at your local library. Can save a lot of fuel money if you are able to access busses.

Can also save one third on train fares, I am not familiar with this one but belive you simply provide proof of entitlement ie. DLA and pay one off fee of £10 at railway staion.
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Can I just add to that last post? I have a concessionary bus pass and I am not on any benefits (disability ones). I got a form from my library and took it to my GP, he signed it and I took it back and then got my pass. My daughter has HMS and she also got one. I don't know if it has changed since I got mine (about 2 years now) but as long as your GP concurs that you can't walk far and signs it then they will issue one. It saves me a shed load of money as the fare into town is £5 a time. Like I said maybe they have tightened up control of it but it's worth asking at least.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Gloria and welcome to the forum. I think, if you read through the thread as a whole, it's self-explanatory.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lucy14
    Lucy14 Member Posts: 14
    Hi hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere.

National Trust do an Essential Companion card that allows a disabled National Trust member to take a companion free of charge. just ring the office to request one and they will send one out.
    There are plenty of places in the grounds and houses to rest, not all houses are wheelchair friendly, but some of the houses have lifts, would recommend researching before going.
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    I’m so glad this thread was revived. I’ve just applied for my CEO card. I wish I’d done it sooner as I’ve earlier this week I took out a mortgage to see Mission Impossible.
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    I have notice that I can apply for a Freedom Pass due to my health in my area. I just need to complete the form on line and have 2 passport size photoso. I can't wait. This would save me a lot of money.
    Also I will very going with to my first ever football match with my son. The Clerk mentioned that she will send out two purple forms to complete that either my son can go free or I can go free. When I told hI'm he was so excited as the fee was £12.50. That is excellent compared to £25+.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    These things can make a big difference, can't they? I hope you thoroughly enjoy the game. I'm guessing you'll have to wait until August now but it will be worthwhile. Especially if the right team wins :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    Hi Stickywicket
    The match is the ending of July.
    I can't wait. After the match we will go for a meal.
    I'm excited :)
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    There are many places that allow disabled/carers to go free or on reduced rates, you just have to ask, most of them are only too pleased to help and few need any paperwork. I have had to point out that my BB is in the car in their carpark very few times.
  • Sharney7
    Sharney7 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Everyone,

not sure if anyone has already said this but at most theatres even in London the carer can go free and something the disabled person can go for half price. As I can't do a lot of things anymore I do love my trips to the theatre and with getting them cheaper it really is a huge help!