Maustin
Maustin Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi All,
Look forward to chatting and getting useful advise. I have had OA for 12yrs plus in both knees, lower back, hip, now in ankles, elbows, shoulders and chronic in hands and fingers, have also just discovered have some RA, i work 30hrs plus a week as a receptionist so on a keyboard and writing all day, I am really struggling to manage but falling on deaf ears, it is getting me down, any handy tips to help
Much appreciated x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Maustin
    Welcome to the forum, we are all suffers of Arthritis with various forms of pain levels. Everyone here on the forum are friendly and welcoming and understanding what you are going through.
    Just pick a forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Maustin and welcome from me too.

First of all, congratulations on managing a 30 hour week despite the arthritis. It can't be easy. I started with RA first, so many years ago that the modern Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) now given to those of us with auto-immune types of arthritis, weren't used. Hence, OA set in too.

Your employer has to make reasonable adjustments for your disease(s) whether or not (s)he likes it. Have a read here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/work/ .

Which DMARD do you take for the RA? Possibly you need a stronger dose, a different DMARD or another one adding. However, it might be that your RA is quite well controlled so it's just a matter of dealing with the OA. The GP can provide anti-inflammatories and pain relief but, mostly, it's what we can do for ourselves. A healthy diet and weight plus exercise will go a fair way to help. By 'exercise' I don't mean running marathons but keeping the muscles strong as they support our joints making them deteriorate more slowly and hurt a bit less. There's lots more info here on living with arthritis https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis .

There are gadgets available in any disability store to make life a bit easier but just simple things like lightweight pans and vac can make a big difference. Your GP might refer you for physio and / or to an Occupational Therapist who could make suggestions tailored to your needs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I began with psoriatic arthritis back in 1997 when I was 37, then OA was diagnosed in 2011 but must have been going on for some time. Some joints have one, some the the other and others both.

I managed to carry on working for seventeen years (I was a private tutor for dyslexics) but that was manageable as they did more writing than me! I had a shaped ergonomic keyboard for the computer which I loved but I don't know if they are still available. For writing I used a yoropen and, oddly enough, today I can across a pen specially designed for those with arthritis: have a look at the ERGO-SOF designed by PENAGAIN (www.thepencompany.com) although I have to say I haven't a clue how you hold it! A quill grip may be more comfortable to use, instead of resting the pen on the middle finger and gripping with the index and thumb on either side you rest it lying back on the webbing between the fore and middle finger, with the thumb to the side and the forefinger tip resting on top: this gives the pen a more upright position and can ease the strain on the hand muscles (I am working on the assumption you are right-handed).

It's been quite warm here today which I always find draining plus my right eye is swollen and hands playing up so I will sign off for the time being. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Maustin
    Maustin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply and the great tip, i’ve just ordered a pen off Amazon, hopefully that will be some help. Hope you’re not feeling too bad 🥴x