New poster, surgery induced OA

Options
andycat
andycat Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all,

Due to surgery for a spiral tib/fib/ankle fracture 25 years ago (I'm now 47), I'm starting to struggle with arthritis in my ankle.

See attached X-ray if you're interested, it's a bit of an agricultural repair!

It got to the point after a lot of walking on holiday last year where I though I'd broken it again!

I've started taking Turmeric, and want to avoid "drugs" as much as possible, what advice can you offer? straps/aids, or supplements?? Any recommended brands/types?

I'm off on holiday again soon so will be more active and don't want it ruining by a lack of mobility.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome - I'm sure you will get any answers you want here,our members have wide and varied experience.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I'm a veteran of both RA and OA and not a believer in supplements at all having tried many, years ago, and found them extremely wanting. In fact, I'm with Dara O'Briain “"Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!" Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri”

My own ankles fused themselves before ankle surgery became mainstream. I can't read x-rays but I'd guess that your OA came about not because of the surgery but because of the ankle trauma that required the surgery. OA is known to set in at the site of a previous fracture.

I've used neoprene supports but the key to using supports is to do so only when really necessary and take them off once back at base as they encourage muscle weakness which makes everything worse. Walking poles are an excellent way of taking the weight off knees. I don't know if they'd work for ankles.

You might not want to take drugs (Not many of us do :wink: ) but, if you're planning a holiday which you know is likely to aggravate your OA, it would be a good idea to take some with you either to take before a demanding walk, after or both. Your GP would be best placed to advise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have OA in both ankles (and other joints) induced by my other arthritis. I absolutely adore gobbling up the pain relief and doing the injections - not - but I understand that neither form of arthritis is curable so the meds are necessary to give me the best quality of life I can achieve.

I presume you already know to wear good quality supportive footwear and I recommend that you use an aid such as a sprung walking pole or two to help ease the strain on the affected ankle: this will also help to ease the strain on your other joints because we unconsciously change the way we move to reduce pain.

Any form of arthritis is degenerative, progressive and painful and, in the case of OA, nothing can regrow eroded cartilage: in ad speak WIGIG. The placebo effect, however, is not to be underestimated, neither is the willingness of many to exploit the fears and misery of others by flogging stuff that won't make any difference whatsoever. I know quite a few people who swear by their copper bracelets, green-lipped mussel extract, chondroitin blah blah blah but all are self-diagnosed with 'arthritis'. If any of it worked it would be prescribed. It isn't because it doesn't.

It seems obscene that in the 21st century ten million people in the UK are living with a painful and incurable condition but that is the reality. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben