Hi, just joined

radley321
radley321 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi, my name is Sarah, just wanted to say hello :) I'm 52 and was diagnosed with Osteoporosis after breaking my hip in 2016.

Been doing really well up until this year. I work from home and physically have been very active up until this year.

Having a fair bit of hip pain on movement and walking. I'd describe it as feeling a bit dodgy! Feels a bit unstable. So have been back to the Dr and off for the result of an XRay this morning. That's about it in a few short sentences :) Really just looking for advice and support within the site and forums.

Sarah x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community, Sarah, from the moderating team. As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Osteoporosis and your current ‘dodgy’ hip. I’m not sure whether this will be of interest to you so attach it anyway:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/hip-pain/

Support and advice you will certainly receive here :)

I hope all goes well for you at the Dr’s today.

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Sarah and welcome from me too.

I'm sorry about the diagnosis of osteoporosis but you sound to be tackling it well with exercise. Presumably you are on medication too. We have a few people on here with osteoporosis. Opinions seem to differ regarding the best medication but whatever works, eh?

The hip pain sounds a bit like osteoarthritis, doesn't it? I hope you'll tell us how you got on with this morning's appointment. You might feel a bit dissatisfied. Many do when they've got a diagnosis of 'mild OA' which seems to correspond to not-very-mild pain :o In truth, docs can seem a bit off-hand about it because there's not a lot they can do. It's more up to us. A healthy diet and weight, exercise(s), distraction and, when necessary, pain relief and / or anti-inflammatories.

Anyway, I won't bang on about it. But I just wanted you to know that, on here, we do understand and can sympathise and empathise :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • radley321
    radley321 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Stickywicket, it went better than I expected at the Drs. I also thought they might not to be too helpful.

I'm fairly sure its OA but there was some talk about the pins which were used to fix the break in 2016 possibly causing a few issues, so I've been referred back to my original orthopeadic surgeon. Also Avascular Necrosis was mentioned. I had slight AVN about a year after my hip was pinned. Which was resolved following non-weight bearing for a few months.

It has come on reasonably quickly, from nothing one day (about six to eight weeks ago) to a feeling like its catching and locking, to pain increasing a little bit more every day. I'm not sure if that's just one way the OA can present itself?

I do have medication. Alendronic Acid after a Dexa scan (following the break in 2016) plus Adcal and HRT. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see :)

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't have osteoporosis, I've made do with psoriatic and osteoarthritis instead. I took alendronic acid for a while when I was taking oral steroids on a regular basis but coming off the steroids enabled me to come off that which was a relief: of all the meds I've taken that was a nuisance.

My OA was diagnosed in 2011 - I've no idea when it began as it hid behind the skirts of the psoriatic which began in 1997. I manage it with pain relief, rest, and suitable, sensible exercise. It mainly affects both ankles, both knees and both hips and is playing up today. I shall force myself to go out for a walk later for the benefit of the rest of me 'cos that needs looking after too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope you don't have long to wait as it's uncertainty that's so unsettling. Once we know what we're dealing with we can tackle it.
    Not knowing whether it's rest or exercise which is needed is a tough one.

I think what you describe might or might not indicate OA. We're all different so the same disease can present differently especially if you've had a previous break there.

Once you've got an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon, is it possible, in your area, to ring up and say you could take a cancellation? Not everywhere does this but, if you can be available at short notice, it can speed up an appointment by quite a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Hello Sarah.

I'm sorry you are having increasing difficulties. I don't have osteoporosis but I do have OA and also have completely unrelated recent experience of Avascular Necrosis in a shoulder.

I had pins inserted in 2017 to repair a fracture and it began to feel extremely uncomfortable after a few months. I was referred back to the original surgeon and, via x-rays and a CT scan, learned that the AVN (loss of blood supply to the head of humerus) was sheer bad luck but meant that the bone could not hold the pins securely. This had nothing to do with my OA but was corrected with a joint replacement in February 2019 and, so far, it seems to have worked well for me.

I'm glad you have been referred back to the hospital and hope you don't have too long to wait for a firm diagnosis and whatever treatment is needed to ensure you are comfortable again.

Best wishes with it all!