Hi...newly diagnosed psioratic arthritis

richiebouy
richiebouy Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Would be interested in knowing if there are any specific groups or forums for PSa and just glad to find a community of knowledgeable sympathetic souls. Very scary and new.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi richiebouy,

Welcome to the forum. I see that you are newly diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and would like to find people to talk to.

Here's our leaflet on PsA
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/

The symptoms and treatments for PsA are similar to any other auto-immune Arthritis, for example, Rheumatoid Arthritis. This forum is the perfect place to chat with people in a similar position to yourself. Ask any questions you would like via the forum.

If you wish to find support in your community please take a look at this https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/in-your-area

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes, take care.
    ChrisB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me, too :D

We have people on here with PsA. We all find we have more that unites us than divides us. But, if you want a forum specifically for PsA, the Psoriasis Association has one https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/ I hope you find what you're looking for.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I began an auto-immune arthritis back in 1997 which was finally diagnosed as psoriatic in 2006. The label changed nothing, not the meds or my thoughts about it because it was just more of the same: I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven, both conditions caused by an over-active immune system. If there is a history of auto-immune trouble in the family then you are more likely to begin something like this but it can also come from nowhere, if that is the case for you I am sorry.

How long ago were you diagnosed and what meds have been suggested by your rheumatologist? My case was hard to diagnose because I didn't have any psoriasis and it did not begin where it traditionally does. I still have very little of the skin trouble compared to some and it is now in multiple joints which is not surprising after twenty-plus years. The meds suppress the immune system thus reducing disease activity thus slowing its progress. A friend of mine who was diagnosed far more quickly than me is doing very well indeed on just sulphasalazine, he does not understand my version of it and I haven't a clue about his. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    Hi Richie
    Yes it definitely is a little scarey at the start. I was diagnosed a month and a half ago with autoimmune arthritis and just recently got over my fear a little. The beginning of it was acceptance itself. At first l hoped l could wish it away. That didnt work so l started reading a lot on this forum and that helped me to accept. I realised lm not the only one (far from it) so if so many others have got it why shouldnt l? The unknown is scarey isnt it. I sometimes project way into the future and that doesnt help. I hope you find some comfort and solace on these pages like l did.
    Warmest wishes
  • DeborahRed
    DeborahRed Member Posts: 3
    richiebouy wrote:
    Would be interested in knowing if there are any specific groups or forums for PSa and just glad to find a community of knowledgeable sympathetic souls. Very scary and new.

Hello...Im new too. Was diagnosed in February....lots to learn
    Best wishes
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there and welcome from me too. I don't have PsA, just RA and OA, but the meds we all take for our autoimmune arthritis are the same and we all have far more in common than what divides us. If you have specific questions they are best put on the Living With Arthritis forum where more people will see them. I hope to see you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    DeborahRed wrote:
    richiebouy wrote:

Hello...Im new too. Was diagnosed in February....lots to learn
    Best wishes

Hi and welcome what were you diagnosed with? I was diagnosed in April with autoimmune arthritis (they're not sure which one) It's a lot to adjust to isn't it. How are you traveling?
  • felicityh
    felicityh Member Posts: 25
    I have PSA too, diagnosed 3 years ago. Always happy to talk or answer any questions. xx