Hello

Jackie47
Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Not exactly new to this site but its been a while. Struggling right now with RA mentally and physically. Lots of different meds not been for me, hip replacement 4 years ago that although the replacement is good been suffering from bursitis ever since. Waiting for investigation into other hip and a knee. Feeling down in the dumps. Apart from that and secondary Fibro life is fine.😔

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I thought I recognised your name. I would say welcome back but it is a shame to see you if things were going a little better and now they're not. We're all plodding on as usual, I don't know how many names you will remember but not many post regularly now. The forum is much more of a dip-in-when-needed place than it used to be but I hope you will still find encouragement and support. I for one have been steadily deteriorating but that's arthritis, not surprising and hardly news on here. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    Yes sadly we all plod on. Been batting against the odds for a while and at a cross roads medication wise. Blooming body likes it at first then boom I get reactions. Gradually working down the list. It’s the feeling of I wouldn’t say depressed but frustration more like. Does my head in. Hope it’s not been too bad for you?
  • dreamdaisy
    It's not been easy but chronic conditions arent. I plunged into depression when my OA was diagnosed so have been on a small daily dose of an anti-depressant for eight years and it certainly helps me. My rheumatologist thought that if I am stronger mentally I can cope better physically and I have to agree with her.

Arthritis is what it is and it will do what it will do. I can give in or do the ABC: adapt, believe, compromise. I prefer the latter. Yes, it's all far worse now than back when it began but so what? The disease is about control and management, not cure. That doesn't make it easy but it does stop one longing for the impossible. DD
  • Jackie47
    Sadly the RA is not under control as i cannot tolerate the meds given apart from long term Sulphasazine but after 15 years its gone hey wire including IV immunotherapy. They have to be careful as some could trigger TB i had as a child. I was full of anxiety so Dr gave me anti depressants, different compounds and i was so physically ill and ended up in hospital. They had to be ditched. Back on Naproxen and its taken the swelling down. Ive had CBT and waiting for more. Very helpful. Doesn't help i have never accepted my illness.mentally that is because its taken so much away. So im being thown between Rhuematologist, Orthopaedic's, Pain Clinic, GP's because i am a challenge apparently 😀
  • dreamdaisy
    Having been born with auto-immune issues for me this was just more of the same. I suppose it helps in some way that my life has always been compromised by health and that meds have been a part of my life since I was twelve. I suppose I am also fortunate in that I have coped reasonably well with the meds, the two that caused real trouble were soon stopped and things returned to my version of normal.

I was surprised my reaction to the diagnosis of OA because I genuinely thought that I had ticked the arthritis box. Of the two I prefer the OA because it is more honest in how it presents and is easier to control. I've never seen the point in resenting matters, they are as they are and I think it makes sense to use my mental energies in as positive a way as usual. I am more than my disease, I do the best I can within my limitations but I am fortunate in that I am now 60, retired, no family so the demands and pressures on my time are greatly reduced which is good timing as things are undoubtedly worse. I've done the hard yards with work etc. and remain proud of that - again it helped that I was used to not being as others and have tailored my life accordingly. DD