20 y/o with PSA worried about uni

Options
felicityh
felicityh Member Posts: 25
edited 17. Jul 2019, 16:08 in Young people's community
I've had PSA for 3 years (since I was 17) and was wondering if anyone on here is currently (or recently went to) university. I tried to go last September but had to defer after a few weeks due to symptoms and side effects of mtx. I'm now on a better dose of mtx so no side effects but I'm having a small flare and am worried that if I go back to uni this September I'll end up leaving again. I have DSA (disabled students allowance) and my uni of choice is very aware of all my health issues but I've found it hard to find someone who actually understand and can relate to this situation. If any of you have been through something similar or having any advice at all I'd really appreciate it! xx

Comments

• nishishah
    nishishah Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey! I'm 20 aswell and after a very long year of symptoms, I've just been diagnosed with Spondyloarthritis and should hopefully be starting injections soon. I am about to go into my final year of University. I'm sorry you're feeling so nervous about going back to uni but I don't blame you at all. I found it really hard when I initially started getting symptoms because my uni friends had kind of seen the transition, and so I used to get asked so many questions and people are not always understanding. But, what I have found is that for every ignorant person there are 10x more people who are sympathetic and willing to listen, you just have to find who those people are. One thing I would say is that the best way to deal with this is to speak openly about your condition and be honest about when you need help etc. because then you normalise it, and hopefully it won't be such a worrying point for you. This is especially the case for when you have flare ups because it's good to have some help and support when this happens. (Also, don't panic about having a flare up, this doesn't mean you will have to quit uni again. The unfortunate thing about a chronic illness like arthritis is that flare ups are inevitable- but the silver lining is that you know they will always pass!)

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that very few people will actually understand what you are going through, but at the end of the day, as long as people are compassionate you'll be just fine. You can also find support from people who understand first hand what it's like to have arthritis on these online forums, or perhaps your uni has a disabled students officer who will be able to support you and put you in touch with people who are going through a similar thing.

I hope this helps and best of luck!! xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to the forum nishishah and thanks for sharing your insights and experience. It's good to hear that you have found support and empathy. Good luck with completing your studies. felicityh, I hope you find a similar level of support and compassion if you decide to go ahead with your university plans.

with best wishes,

Ann