Osteopyhtes wuestion

Options
RugbyRich
RugbyRich Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all,

51 year old and had triple ACDF three years ago. Now have a cage fitted from C5-T1.

Ever since surgery I’ve continued to have nerve related symptoms but recently have started ‘passing out’ At PC at work (colleagues description). Seen my neurosurgeon who confirms severe lack of power in left arm and had another MRI today.

I had an MRI last year which said pronounced osteophytes at C4/5 and only
Moderate below that. Anyone got any idea what the difference is ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums - I'm sure you will get any answers you want here.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I'm sorry, I don't think I can help. I've had RA and OA virtually everywhere for many years. I understand 'osteophytes' but I've no idea what a ' triple ACDF' is. I'm guessing that C = cervical and T = thoracic. I can manage the medical difference between 'pronounced' and 'moderate' (the former is more severe) but damage done doesn't always correspond to pain experienced.

I can't recall anyone on here having a spinal cage though I do get the impression that hips, knees, shoulders etc seem to lend themselves to successful surgery more than the spine. You might get some answers if you re-post on the Living With Arthritis forum but I think this is one for the medics.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, in all my years on here I have never come across a similar case to yours and I am afraid I cannot help. I too think this is one for the knowledgeable professionals rather than the enthusiastic amateurs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • RugbyRich
    RugbyRich Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have to think about this. An ACDF is an Anterior Cervical Discetomy and Fusion( or something like that). Basically they went on j through the front of my throat and removed three discs then fused the whole lot together with a titanium cage.

Osteoarthritis is the underlying cause but I continue to suffer with loss of mobility and strength down the whole of my left arm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation. That does make more sense.

It does all sound like nerve damage, doesn't it? I know OA can cause it.but maybe the operation can too. Necks are tricky areas. I don't know what can be done but I hope your neurosurgeon does. Hopefully, the new MRI will make things clearer. Your current situation sounds a bit scary if you keep passing out. I don't suppose adjusting the height of the computer would help?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright