MATS

Jackie47
Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
edited 22. Jul 2019, 18:10 in Living with arthritis
Drat and blast it I will have to get to surgeon via MATS. I know knee and or hip needs sorting,Dr knows it but them are the rules to get it on the NHS. More time to wait. In 2015 when I had a hip replacement I didn’t have to go through that route. Moan over.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think maybe they are the rules for either your PCT or your GP practice.

I've never heard of MATS (two THRs and three TKRs) and had to look it up. My orthopaedic surgeon has always kept an annual eye on my implants.

My husband is in the process of waiting for an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon with a view to a new hip but our GP referred him himself.

I guess that doesn't help you at all except you now know it's not NHS rules. If you want to ask how it is for others the Living With Arthritis forum will get you better results.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Thanks for replies. Perhaps its my area North Somerset that you have to go via MATS? I remember now the Rhuematologist referred me directly for 2015 hip replacement but sadly for me she has retired.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    These orthopaedic triage schemes seem to be quite widespread and, when they work properly can be useful for both the patient and the NHS. However they don't always work as intended(as I found out) and in my view are too susceptible to control by financial(eg CCGs) rather than clinical considerations. Given that you seem to have gone through many(possibly all!) the non-surgical options such a clinic would initially try, have RA, and have already been through the surgery route it does seem odd you can't be referred directly by your GP.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I too had to look it up and all the blurb I saw was produced by Bristol something or other so I guess it's your area. I don't think we have anything like it in East Anglia. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I too had to look it up and all the blurb I saw was produced by Bristol something or other so I guess it's your area. I don't think we have anything like it in East Anglia. DD

There are such schemes in East Anglia but it's one of those things you don't know about until you have to be put through it! They have different names(MATS is one) so looking them up is a bit hit and miss and doesn't necessarily show the full picture.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you, Daffy, I am not at my best with anything at the moment! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    Well some good news I have the X-rays on Saturday. Hip and knee both on one side.