Hello from Boston - OA of hip is limiting me so much...

jolovessnow
jolovessnow Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi Everyone,
I am so happy to find this forum that seems very active. I am a university professor and my work life is getting very difficult due to my hip OA. I really need to lose weight. It has been a lifelong issue. I've already had bypass surgery which resulted in significant weight loss but I need to lose more to relieve some of my hip pain. Am using a cane now and very fearful of falling. If anyone is in my situation, how did you motivate yourself into losing the weight?
Thanks all!
Jolovessnow

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good afternoon jolovessnow and welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community on behalf of the moderators.

You are quite right this is a lovely forum with lots of supportive and experienced members. I know they will be along soon to give you their experience, but in the meantime I attach the following links:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/news/losing-weight-when-you-have-arthritis/

This one is about exercise:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/exercise/about-exercise/

Feel free to start a thread on here about your weight loss; a few have while losing weight and they have received so much support and encouragement. I’m sure it helps.

Best of luck

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, is that Boston Lincolnshire or Boston USA? Either way it's nice to meet you. I lost weight, found that it made no difference to pain levels whatsoever and over the years have put it back on. I have two kinds of arthritis and many affected joints but still manage to get out and about, walk unaided over short distances and have found the best way to avoid falling is to pay full attention to how I am walking, not walking on unfriendly terrain (sandy or pebbly beaches, cobbles etc) and certainly not walking and talking at the same time.

I am very tired so will return tomorrow with a better reply. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi jolovessnow and welcome from me too :)

Well done on the weight loss with the bypass surgery. It can't have been easy. We have several people on here who have lost commendable amounts of weight. One lady, confined to a wheelchair, lost (if I remember rightly) 5 stones. (Or are you in pounds or kilos? I have a son in California and we struggle to converse with weights and temperatures :lol: ) i think everyone has to do it in a way that suits them. My husband sometimes does the 5-2 diet which would drive me crazy. I'm lucky with my weight but, when necessary, I prefer to just cut out the obvious - sweet stuff, crisps (corn snacks?) and, alas, wine :roll:

How can you manage exercise? Do you cycle or swim? They're both good for arthritis as well as weight loss.

Re falling - lots of people use crutches or walking frames or rollators for more security.

I hope we can help. We can, at least encourage you and we all know where you're coming from with the arthritis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jolovessnow
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, is that Boston Lincolnshire or Boston USA?

Boston USA - Thanks for responding so quickly! I can see I will be converting Stones and Pounds during any weight discussion. I am super careful walking so it takes me forever to get anywhere, even around my house. I am tired too.
  • jolovessnow
    moderator wrote:
    Good afternoon jolovessnow and welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community on behalf of the moderators.

You are quite right this is a lovely forum with lots of supportive and experienced members. I know they will be along soon to give you their experience, but in the meantime I attach the following links:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/news/losing-weight-when-you-have-arthritis/

This one is about exercise:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/exercise/about-exercise/

Feel free to start a thread on here about your weight loss; a few have while losing weight and they have received so much support and encouragement. I’m sure it helps.

Best of luck

Ellen

Hi Ellen -
    Thanks for the welcome! Can you tell me how to reply without using the quote link? I could not find a button to click on.
    Jo