NSAIDs, heat and dehydration.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 10. Aug 2019, 05:23 in Living with arthritis
I was perusing the weekend press and was reminded that when there is a heatwave it can be very easy to become dehydrated without realising it. What I had not realised was that this can be exacerbated by medications which can affect the kidneys, including NSAIDs. To paraphrase Strictly . . . . keeeeeeeeep sipping! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Most painkillers will cause dehydration as will many pills even stomach protecting ones. What made a difference for me was buying some of the s/s double walled drinks containers, cold water will stay cold and it is much more refreshing to drink, especially in the heatwave of Europe a few days ago.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks, DD. I consider myself careful about keeping hydrated and sup gallons of tea per day but I still managed to get dehydrated once on a plane - too tight to pay for a drink on the flight to Heathrow and too rushed between flights. Then I had wine with my meal - exactly what I shouldn't have done :oops: I just wanted to lie down. Felt I must.

The upside was I had the attentions of two rather delectable male cabin crew for about 1/2hr, :D plying me with water and oxygen. It was almost worth it but I've been careful not to repeat it :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    You're quite right, Airwave!, other meds can have the same effect but as many on here take NSAIDs or are new to them I thought it worth mentioning. t is very easy to become dehydrated, thirst can be mistaken for hunger which doesn't help.

Sticky, that must have been most unpleasant but that is often how we learn lessons. I have also been keeping an eye on my salt intake. I never cook with it or add it to my meals but in this weather I nibble on plain crisps to replace what I'm losing through the excess sweating. And oh boy! has there been some excess! :lol: It's vile here this morning, the violent storms of last night have not shifted the stifling heat. I feel icky. :| DD
  • stickywicket
    Not too unpleasant, given the male attention :wink: But a lesson learned.

Now, how do I teach Mr SW? He's not a big drinker (other than beer and wine :roll: ) so I'm practically force-feeding (force-drinking??) him liquids these hot days. It doesn't help that he's on cocos for his hip.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Normally I would suggest using one's feminine wiles but my best guess is that, after fifty years of marriage, they may have lost some of their effectiveness. I think it's an older male thing - my dad would drink maybe three cups of tea a day and that was it. Younger men are more aware of the need to keep hydrated, Mr DD always has water to hand. I genuinely do not know the answer to this apart from leaving him a small glass of water to hand . . . . DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Normally I would suggest using one's feminine wiles but my best guess is that, after fifty years of marriage, they may have lost some of their effectiveness. DD

You're so right. Yesterday I was trying to cool off topless but I couldn't compete with the Tour de France. Now, 50 years ago...... :lol:

As for keeping him hydrated - I'm trying: he's very trying :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    In Europe in the midst of 40degrees of heatwave I filled up my twin walled drinks container at least every two hours and that was in the air conditioned car.
  • dreamdaisy
    What were you filling it with? Water to consume or the water you had? :wink: DD