Hello

susierw
susierw Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Not sure if this is how I post my introduction or if 'hello' is classed as a new topic, if not where do I 'click'. I am 59 and have been diagnosed last year with 'moderate' arthritis in my hip. I was told it needs to get to severe before I qualify as having a hip replacement. I have considerable pain night and day - after walking for about 20 mins I am limping and at night sleep with a pillow between my knees or half sitting up in bed. Also find the weight of sheets or blankets on my feet is uncomfortable. Looking forward to reading others experiences with similar conditions so we can help and support each other. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi susierw
    welcome to the community it is lovley to have you here. Sorry to read that you have been having such a rough time with your hip and I am sure there are many members here who will be able to relate to what you are going through. Being in pain all the time is not easy to cope with at all. You might find our information oh hip pain useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/hip-pain/
    Keep us up to date with how you are getting on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, you got everything right and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have had arthritis for many years and also find sleeping difficult. I take my evening dose of pain relief about an hour before settling down and then rely on distraction techniques to take my mind off it when I wake during the night. When it's really rough I read my Kindle.

I began with one joint and now it's around forty - oddly life is much easier pain-wise as it's everywhere and not focused in one area. I understand about the weight of bedding aggravating matters - there are ways to raise bedding off the feet, my mum had her own version which was an old short-legged tea tray! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello from me too :D

I've had both hips replaced (I have RA and OA) and it's not easy when they're bad. I'm not big on pain relief as I think we just get to tolerate it and need more) but, like DD, I do believe in taking some 1/2hr or so before bedtime.

I think, with OA, we just have to work out our limits and aim to stay within them except when something good enough to exceed them comes along. Then we know there'll be payback but also that it was worth it.

Exercise(s) is essential to keep muscles strong and supportive. My husband is currently waiting for a hip replacement. He's dealt with his hip pain for years by golfing, walking and gardening :o By the time he saw the GP and had an x-ray he was bone on bone. No cartilage but strong muscles :lol:

Has your GP offered physio? If not, I'd ask. And you might find lots of useful stuff here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright