Inflammation and tenderness inside knees

Penny
Penny Member Posts: 5
edited 1. Aug 2019, 13:16 in Chat to our Helpline Team
Hello.

I am awaiting diagnosis of what is either vasculitis or some form of inflammatory arthritis, from the Royal Mineral Hospital in Bath. Meanwhile, the insides of my knees are tender and inflamed. Would using something like Ibuprofen gel or Voltorol be of use until I receive treatment?

Thank you.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Penny,

Thank you for posting on our Helpline Forum. I am sorry to hear that the insides of your knees are tender and inflamed. Ibuprofen or Volterol gel may help, but it sounds as if it would be wise to consult your GP for advice. We are not medically trained on the helpline.

I am glad to hear that you have been referred to the Royal Mineral Hospital in Bath to help ensure that you receive the right diagnosis and treatment for your condition.

For information about the different types of arthritis, diagnosis and treatment, follow this link: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/arthritis/

For information about vasculitis, see: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/vasculitis/

If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to give us a call on our Free helpline 0800 520 0520 (9am -8pm weekdays).

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Hi. I’ve got xrays this weekend on a very painful knee. I have on prescription ibuprofen gel and anti inflammatory tablets. If you are thinking of buying gels run it past the chemist first especially if you are on any medication.
  • Penny
    Thank you, everyone, for your interest and replies.
  • FeelingOld
    FeelingOld Member Posts: 5
    Hi Penny
    I sympathize with you as we seem to have similar symptoms. I have had pains on the inside on my knees and in my right wrist since early May (plus a lot of sympathy pains elsewhere I think!!). I saw a rheumatologist last week and he thinks much to my surprise it is OA, it was a surprise as my older brother and sister both have RA so I was expecting the same. Not sure its much of a bonus having OA instead but better than RA! I have been prescribed with an anti inflammatory and antacid so will have to wait and see how well they work. I have used Ibruprofen gel and paracetamol, they did help but not enough!
    I hope your appt goes well and you do get some answers and relief soon.
    Good luck.
  • Penny
    Thank you, FeelingOld. I’m sorry to hear you have OA. My sister does, too. A friend has Oa and has had hip replacements, whereas her daughter suffers really badly with RA. I will let you know what my diagnosis is when I have my follow-up
    Consultation. The Ibuprofen gel is helping. It’s the fatigue that’s such a nuisance. I have energy to do things first thing, then have to rest.

I appreciate the interest shown here.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Penny
    I'm pleased to hear the Ibuprofen gel is giving you some relief. We wish you well with your follow-up consultation. In the meantime, you may find this link helpful for managing fatigue:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-fatigue
    Best wishes
    Mags
    Helpline advisor
  • Penny
    Thank you for your kind wishes and for the link. I will look now. 🙂😎