Neck injections on horizon

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 11. Aug 2019, 09:21 in Living with arthritis
I'm still having problems with the OA in my neck.

I had an MRI on Thursday - results should be with me and my GP within the next 2-wks. I was in the MRI machine for 25 minutes, with my head clamped into position. By the time the scan was finished, my left hand and arm were completely numb and I was holding it in in place with my right hand. All due to position I needed to be in for the scan. My MRI referral also includes any treatment needed by orthopaedics if required.

I regularly get numbness/pins & needles in both arms & hands not to mention the pain I wake up with every morning and my inability to move my head most days until I've been slowly moving around for half an hour. My pillows are in good condition and are less then a year old, and my mattress is a good one which is comfortable for me, so I know it's not attributable to those factors.

My physio on Thursday morning (yes, a very busy day for me and on the hottest day in the UK :roll: ), said he feels I now need neck injections to see if that helps. I've had a 4-wk gap between my last NHS physio session and yesterday's (which I paid for privately as a maintenance session) and the deterioration is markedly noticeable. Particularly with my C2 joint.

Once the MRI results are in I'll be able to speak to the medical bods and see what happens next.

I can't say I'm looking forward to neck injections but if I need them, then so be it. Hopefully they may work, but unless I try I'll never know will I?

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't help on the neck stuff but when I had pins and needles / numbness in my hands and forearms it turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome. Have you been checked for that? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never had neck injections but I hope they help.

My neck is fine as long as I use a shaped memory foam pillow. Without it I'm liable to wake with a migrainey type of headache and need my neck support for a few hours.

I've only ever had the pins and needley sort of nerve pain after one TKR when they had me strapped to the table at the wrong angle for an elbow. It lasted about 2-3 months but then sorted itself.

Good luck, Grace. Let's know how it goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Ladies, thank you for taking the time to kindly reply.

DD - this has been confirmed as coming from my neck by numerous GPs I've seen and my physio. My physio can actually briefly trigger this during treatments when he manipulates the joints and muscles in my neck. :roll:

No news yet re the MRI, but I only had it done last Thursday. I've got a reminder on my phone to call my GP for results next Friday (9th) if I don't hear before then.

I've been extremely sore all over today but we had that intense heat last week and then it poured hard Fri & Sat. It'll settle into what's "normal" for me - it always does and it will again. :)

Take care,
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Right, it's always good to rule things out but then when it rules more in it's more confusing! I recently changed my pillow to a Tempur shaped one and I am sleeping better as a result. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    I've got a foam support pillow, but if I use that for more than a couple of nights on the trot it makes my neck worse. There are nights, however, when I do need to use it so I tend to swap between that and my usual ones. Needless to say, I still wake up with a painful neck regardless.

Ah well, it'll all come out in the wash I expect. :)

GraceB
  • GraceB
    I've got the diagnosis. :roll:

I had a text message from my GP surgery yesterday morning saying I was to contact them asap. I rang and because I was at work organised for a telephone consultation to get the MRI results. I only had the MRI last Thursday evening so naturally having a text from the surgery concerned me rather as I've always rung in the past for results.

I have "degenerative changes with reduced disc space narrowing C4/5 and C5/6". In addition, there is a "right side paracentral disc bulge at C5/6 and right-sided foraminal stenosis". As the GP put it who called me said: "you have a bulging disc in your neck at C5/6". That bulging disc is pushing on the nerve causing my numbness etc.

GP said he had to immediately refer me to orthopaedic surgeon due to the diagnosis so that's been done. Surgery confirmed that went off today. I've also triggered my Benenden membership as they helped me with the MRI and hopefully they'll see/treat me before I get to the end of the extremely long NHS waiting list in this area.

I've been told to carry a copy of the MRI report with me all the time (just in case I run into trouble); he went through all the danger signs to look out for and how to trigger assistance if I encountered them.

So now I wait to see a "neck man". I've had my fill of orthopaedic consultants in the past and the thought of starting down this road with my neck isn't something that delights me - far from it in fact.

I've already had numerous physio sessions and the benefit never last more than a few days. I'm allergic to anti infllammatory meds so that option is out. It seems that the next logical step is injections into these joints.

Ah well, such is life! There's a lot of people much worse off than myself.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    I'm sure you're right about there being a lot of people worse of than you, Grace, but that doesn't improve your situation a bit.

Necks are scary things. For a start they hold our heads on :wink: Actually, mine doesn't do a great job of that these days. I have to keep trying to hold my head up as much as possible. However, I don't have nerve damage and I don't envy you the injections though I hope they do a great deal of good.

I very much understand the feeling of being brassed off at starting with yet another orthopaedic surgeon but I'm sure you'll cope with your usual stoicism and good humour. And us, of course :)
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Hi,

SW - thanks for your very kind words.

Well, I've got my consultants appointment through (for Benenden Hospital). I'm seeing a consultant on 28th August at 3pm.

I'm getting a list of questions together to ask and a good friend of mine (who's like a sister to me) is coming with me. She's had exactly the same issues, and had neck injections so understands what I'm potentially facing. She's also kindly said she'll take me in when I have my procedure done (whether it be injections or surgery), and pick me up.

At least once I've seen the consultant I'll know exactly what's going on and what I'm facing. :)

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Now that's what I call a very good friend. I hope it all goes smoothly, Grace, and you feel as reassured as possible with the outcome.
    Steven Wright