Exercise

Daisymae
Daisymae Member Posts: 50
edited 10. Aug 2019, 04:15 in Living with arthritis
I have been exercising for several weeks now, such as standing on one leg, leg stretches with pointed toes inward, squats from sitting position. The problem is my leg muscles really ache, especially the top of my leg ones, and my bum muscles, is this usual ?

Comments

• Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I would say so as you are stretching muscles . My advice would be don’t stop but don’t over work them but gradually build them up.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Sounds about right to me, do fewer reps but more frequently. When I start a new exercise I do just five reps then gradually build it to seven, ten and so on but never more than twenty. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Flippin' 'eck Daisymae, just read your post and I need a lie down for a week. :wink:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Daisymae
    Thanks for the replies, the exercise have really taken it out of my legs, they feel quite weak and achey I'm going to give them a rest, I was just worried about strengthening my muscles to help my knees
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm not sure that laying off the exercises completely would help, Daisymae. Perhaps you've been a bit over-enthusiastic. Maybe take the weekend off then start again as DD has suggested. Little and often with a slow, steady build up is the way to success. If in doubt ask to see a physio who could guide you through them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Exercise is good for us, it may be that your exercise is one for fully fit people not the partially fit and a non weight bearing one would be more suitable and allow more repetitions as others have suggested. This would allow your muscle to recover and strengthen and of course what is important to you, stop any more discomfort.

I find cycling an excellent way to exercise my lower body, increase my heart rate for a longer period and fight the flab. I should make that keep my muscles toned........ :lol:
  • Daisymae
    I think the exercises were too hard for me, as I am no youngster! I am doing the sitting down ones, but not squatting, or standing on one leg, hope to build up my fitness, I am walking every day, still feel some tightness in my knee.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can understand your wanting stronger muscles but launching into such a strenuous programme was rather ambitious. A little and often with alternate rest days is far more effective - we have to balance ambition and achievement with not causing further and excessive aches and pains. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Softly softly, catchee monkey!