ANKLES

Sissyandfred
Sissyandfred Member Posts: 12
edited 1. Sep 2019, 04:00 in Living with arthritis
Hi anyone else with ankle osteoarthritis?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sissyandfred

I posted a link to our website in reply to your other post in Say Hello. Hope you find it useful.

Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yup, got it in both plus other places plus psoraitic arthritis. I manage my OA with rest, suitable exercise and pain relief. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there and welcome. To be honest, I'm not sure I can answer that question as mine have both fused themselves. So, do I still have OA there? I don't know.

They're virtually painfree now but were horrendous when it was all happening. I'm not sure how I'd have coped without the orthotist and the physio. I had to have a caliper at one stage. Who is helping with yours?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sissyandfred
    Hi thanks for your replies! I haven’t really had any help yet, just a bad diagnosis that it will get worse & have to be fused. I struggle sometimes with walking & hv to rest a lot. I think I have some bone spur growth , but try not to take painkillers other than ibuprofen because of side effects . I am so worried about it getting worse!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I understand the struggles with walking, once one joint is affected we naturally and unconciously change the way we stand and move in an effort to reduce the pain and discomfort this throwing other joints out of kilter and so it goes on. I have been using walking aids since 2002, are you using anything to help reduce the strain on your joints? When both sides are affected two sticks or crutches offer the best support, a rollator is even better. I rest a great deal too, it is necessary.

I am fortunate I can tolerate paracetamol and codeine in its combined form but in truth it merely dulls rather than remove. Has your GP diagnosed you and have you had Xrays? Living with constant pain is not easy but it can be how it is with arthritis. Pain is there as an alarm signal, we take action and it goes away which is all well and good but with arthritis it isn't that straightforward. One of the benefits of a fused joint is that pain can become a thing of the past.

Something is nagging at the back of my mind about ibuprophen but I cannot grasp it. If it comes to me I'll come back. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Yep two ankles (they come in pairs usually :D ), life varies from can't walk to being able to walk but overdoing it is a no no. One sometimes folds over as though it's about to fuse and a painful time will follow.

Regular light exercise helps as does rest. I wear the same shoes, trainer X country type walking shoes that have supports in for my feet. I must be on my tenth pair by now, the shoes have a lot of support and cushioning which is an absolute must, a change of shoes upsets my feet, ankles, knees, hips and back and takes a lot of time to settle down.

A visit to the foot lady at hospital may help to get you walking properly is a start.
  • Sissyandfred
    Hi nice to hear from you both! We have similar lives I guess, yes Iv been X-rayd and they said fusion is the only option. But of course I’m terrified of that! So I continue like you both, my best ever footwear being cushioned trainers , ultra boost Adidas, they help so much. I have an allotment which is where I get most of my exercise, can b really painful afterwards but worth it for the happiness it brings. The weather seems to affect them a lot, I dread rain/cold!
  • Sissyandfred
    I just remembered - a yoga teacher showed me how to keep my feet aligned, as I was turning one in particular out wide , which was becoming a problem. I can’t afford to do yoga anymore tho :(
    How do the ankles fuse together naturally ?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Don't be scared of fusion. It's quite a common op now and successful though there's a long period of non-weight bearing afterwards. I've had hips and knees replaced and all my ops have greatly enhanced my life - until the next bit went :wink: But I have RA as well as OA.

Ask your GP to refer you to a podiatrist and a physio. The latter may well only see you twice, to give you exercises then to see if you're doing them correctly. The rest is up to us but they do make a difference.

How do ankles fuse naturally? I've no idea. I guess it just happens over time. Several of my hand and foot bones have fused themselves. I remember when I saw the orthopaedic foot guy he was very impressed with mine. Said, modestly, that he couldn't have done a better job himself :roll: I think, as I said, physio and orthotics were my saviours.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    Hi everyone
    I have OA in my Ankles, knees, hip and lower back. It has been so challenging for me to go up the stairs as I hate the lift and the hills are worse for me.
    I too Sissyandfred feel the pain when I do walk a lot that I have to rest. Rest is good and eating well is also good. Our well being is so important.
    What has helped me is to do the exercises and also to go to my local gym and use the hydropool that helps me to relax.
    Stay strong and speak positive words into your life (Versus Arthritis).
    Blessing
  • celtic
    celtic Member Posts: 32
    Hi anyone else with ankle osteoarthritis?

Hi S&F, have bad ankle osteoarthritis and was told nothing could be done, also have it in knee, hips, shoulder and hands, due to a dicky tikker, have been ready to have knee replaced, waiting on hospital bed when twice in 18 months was sent home as Drs refused to operate, I have tried all sorts to help relieve the pain and about 5 months ago tried Hemp Gel It took sometime to work but it does help, it won't cure but it helps me to manage.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi nice to hear from you both! We have similar lives I guess, yes Iv been X-rayd and they said fusion is the only option. But of course I’m terrified of that!

hi , I have had both ankles fused & would recommend you having it done but talk to your consultant
    they can make a brace to help support it but if left you can develop other problems

the advantage of having it done is the joint pain free , it takes six months to totaly heal but is worth it , but ask to be refered to a surgeon & ask them all the question like what will happen if you had nothing done
  • remmingtonwildhunter
    remmingtonwildhunter Member Posts: 66
    I had my ankle fused last year long road ahead3 months in plaster8 weeks air boot then learn to walk again...
    My left foot was 180 degrees to my leg they called me pingu at work had servere pain for two years before the opp still got pain but thats because of my job as a gardener lots of walking ...
    I will need a lower navicular fushion next year but just some words of wisdom...
    WHY HAVE A PAINFULL STIFF ANKLE ,WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A PAINLESS STIFF ANKLE...
    The lady i spoke to at Rnoh was 15 months post opp and had come back from her 4 time sking
  • jule
    jule Member Posts: 3

Hi .. I have OA in my ankle after breaking it in two places over 20 years ago. I have brackets and screws and for the last 5 years been dealing with OA... I feel so alone you go to the doctors and they confirm its arthritis and there is nothing they can do. I take morphine and paracetamol and before I go to work take iburofen to help finish a shift on my feet. Its doesnt take away the pain but makes it bearable as i hobble around. I am determined to keep working and have had to reduce my hours and shorter shifts as once drove home I can hardly walk from the car to my house.

The consultant offered me fusion but due to all the metal work was not really happy with doing the procedure but I have decided to be referred back to him as I get so frustrated and feel so lonely and depressed, think its time for that operation for quality of life.😒