There you go

Jackie47
Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
edited 14. Aug 2019, 05:32 in Living with arthritis
So confirmed arthritic knee,hip into spine all on one side. Think I already knew that. 12 week wait to be invited to musculoskeletal clinic for views and ? treatment. GP can no longer send you directly to orthopaedics. Them’s are the rules in these here parts. Thinking back to when I had first hip replacement in 2015 my wonderful rheumatologist ,sadly now retired, sent me to orthopaedics via the back door. Only waited 4 months for op. Still not discharged though as I developed trochanter bursitis and still ongoing. Life is difficult mobility wise but it’s the long wait ahead that depresses me . If I refuse to go through the system I won’t get funding. RA and OA. Fibro. How do you cope with the mental negatives?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Personally, I use the same technique as for pain to deal with 'the mental negatives' ie distraction. It can be hard. It's like a muscle that has to be exercised but dwelling on the negative only makes things worse. If the system is that one has to go via the musculo-skeletal clinic then that's how it is and there's no escaping it.

Way back in the day, my rheumatologist told me I needed new knees badly. He said the call would be sooner rather than later. I drove home and was getting myself a late lunch when the phone rang and I was asked if I could come in. NOW. (Back then one was in for a few days for pre-op stuff.) I've never expected, or received, such prompt surgery since.

I think the essence is just to keep busy. There's always stuff we can do no matter how much we can't do. Mr SW is currently waiting to see an orthopaedic surgeon. One hip is bone on bone and the other almost there, He's had to give up his golf and walking and the garden is suffering but he tries to have a walk round the village every day, lends a hand with housework and is busy doing ancestry research. I'm quite proud of him.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Thank you. I do try to keep busy as a distraction but it’s not easy. Doesn’t help I can’t tolerate pain killers other than paracetamol. Just had to cancel visit to stay with family due to stairs as I can’t do them. Have had to cancel a few things. All very frustrating when surgery is on the cards but GP can’t refer you . I must be patient 🙄
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am not naturally inclined towards negative thinking because I realised it gets me nowhere, achieves nothing and doesn't make me good company. Arthritis throws obstacles into our paths of varying heights and widths, we can either stand and stare at them or find ways round them.

You are saddened that you cannot see your sister, which is understable, so find a way in which you can. I remember saying to my husband one day that I could not go for a walk and he queried whether I could not or would not. 'Nuff said. I managed a walk, shorter than I had been doing but I gained the mental reward and gratification of doing it rather than sitting moaning I couldn't. Adapt, believe, compromise, the arthritis ABC in use.

I plunged into depression when the OA was diagnosed and I began a short course (as I wanted and planned) of anti-depressants. That was back in 2011 and I am still taking them on my rheumatologist's recommendation, her thinking being if I am stronger mentally I can cope better physically. She's right.

As for pain relief paracetamol does not have enough clout to dull enough of the sharper edges but there are alternatives to discuss with your GP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    It’s all very well to advise people dreamdaisy on what they should or shouldn’t do when they don’t know you. I felt you were lecturing me and self righteous.Great you have your management skills others are still finding theirs. I never mentioned that I was seeing my Sister? I am aware Paracetamol is not effective enough and antidepressants help some people. I will leave it there.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I apologise for confusing family with sister - I am not sure why I did but it was an error for which I am sorry. You asked how people cope with negative thoughts so I answered your question, It was not my intention to sound all the things of which you accuse me and again I apologise if I have offended you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    Apology accepted. Thank you.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Morning Jackie,
    I doubt if anyone can get through arther in any of its forms without doubts and feeling vulnerable.

Yours thoughts are just that, thoughts, but with a strong mind you can dismiss them just as easily as they appear. Distraction technique and 'mindfulness' are two that you can use to push harmful thoughts away and thereby you have the basis of distraction. We can use things we enjoy to steer our minds, things that we learn or even thoughts of family and friends to start us off, positive thoughts are within all our capabilities and teaching ourselves to continually follow these patterns is an ongoing theme.

You mentioned the MSK team, they can refer you to the Pain Clinic, a worthwhile addition to the NHS and as well as the above you'll learn much more including about many drugs, unfortunately not many GPs have done this course yet so relying on prescribed drugs may not always be helpful.

Have fun.
  • Jackie47
    Thank you Airwave. I do try really hard to keep positive. Basically I am a strong positive person just struggling at the moment. You mention the Pain Clinic. Been there and got the T shirt. I’ve had various injections,acupuncture,mri. This is for the trochanter bursitis since a hip replacement 2015 and still not discharged from Orthopaedics but the pain from other hip,knee and back masks the bursitis pain but my GP said it’s still there but the other is stronger. Unfortunately I cannot take strong painkillers because they make me so ill . Was given antidepressants for pain and Dr nearly sent me to hospital due to a bad reaction. Now Rhueamatoid biologics I have had over 3 years put me in hospital. Bit of a mess. Gotta laugh. Life has become suddenly limited but I will fight it all the way. I expect to be referred back to orthopaedics eventually and it will be Madam what do you want operating on first. I am waiting for one to one CBT.
  • stickywicket
    If you can't take anything stronger than paracetamol how do you cope post-operatively, Jackie? I'm not at all big on pain relief but I don't know how I'd get through the first couple of days or so without it.

I think I've mentioned before that I don't know how musculo-skeletal clinics works. Is it a foregone conclusion that, once you've been, you'll be given surgery? I'd have presumed that the point of them was to avoid surgery if possible. No?
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    It doesn’t work like that. Imagine a hub. You get a letter to say there is a 12 week wait . That’s not to be seen but an invitation to make an appointment so more wait. They decide on what line of treatment you need. Xrays can be assessed . More wait.Could be Physio,Injections or orthopaedics for surgery. I’ve already had physio and a jab.After my hip 4 years ago in the post op room I was given liquid diazepam a few times ,vomited nicely,but I had no other drugs even via a pump. 8 Paracetamol a day.i wasn’t in pain.I was up walking with a zimmer later that day. Tough old bird.
  • Jackie47
    Sorry should have read Morphine.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The theory of MSK clinics is good, but as is so often the case the patient experience may not be. As a form of triage it can create difficulties if, as I did, you fall at the first hurdle, as it then blocks your GP's options. I found a work-around(thank you Scoliosis Society!) and at least my GP now knows more about how it works(or doesn't) in my area. Since then I have heard of others who have had problems with our version of it.
    In other parts of the country it seems to work rather more as intended.
  • stickywicket
    Jackie47 wrote:
    Sorry should have read Morphine.

:? :? What should have read 'morphine'? :?

So, after physio and steroid injections is surgery definite?
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    I mentioned i had diazapam as pain relief after a hip op and then realised i should have said morphine.. I have no idea what will happen at the clinic so far as to say physio, knee injection already done a while back but when they see the latest xrays, how this impacts on my life, other areas now have OA Dr gave the impression that an Orthopaedic's surgeon opinion will be sourced. Dr cannot send you directly there hence MSK.
  • stickywicket
    Thank you jackie and daffy for the explanations. I guess I wasn't too far wrong. It seems the clinics, when they work well, are to ensure the surgeon's time isn't being wasted by people who really need physio and / or steroid injections. That way, those who do need surgery should have quicker access. I can see that this won't always work as intended, though.

Frankly, I think all orthopaedic surgeons are inundated with patients these days. Mr SW has been told it will be about 3 months before he can see one but then, as we're in Scotland, he must be operated on within, I think, 12 weeks. He has accepted this and just knuckled under to life with two rubbishy hips. Partly, I suspect, because operations are much scarier things when they're his own as opposed to his wife's :lol:
    Steven Wright