benefits and medication

0789blackie
0789blackie Member Posts: 13
edited 13. Aug 2019, 09:58 in Living with arthritis
morning all

another bad nights sleep nighttime been the most painful my ankle is throbbing by then have to put icepack on but have to change every half hour as it seems to defrost but eases the pain the doctor prescribed me amytriptline which doesn't really work does anyone know of another sleeping aid it drives me mad not being able to sleep and does anyone know what benefits im entitled to ive got post traumatic osteoarthritis stage 4 im waiting for a yearly cortisone injection which in my opinion doesn't kill the pain but just takes the edge of a bit I also suffer anxiety and depression which going through the benefit system is so frustrating and stressful ive never done this before as ive always worked hopefully tomorrow will be my last interview with them now ive got my tenancy agreement for a new apartment which as delayed the procedure for 4 weeks but its a struggle getting about now I can't drive due to the medication im taking ive got a free bus mind but ive never been in this position before its like a life changing experience not been able to work I knew this day would come when the cartilage wears and its bone on bone at times the pain is that severe I doing things ive always been very active so hopefully when ive settled in my new apartment I can start swimming cycling and getting back into the gym which takes your mind off the pain and come away feeling real good for a couple of hours any way I would much appreciate any feedback on sleeping meds and any information on benefits

have a nice day all

darren

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Get hold of your nearest CAB mate, they can help and advise you. There is a wealth of info on this forum and on the internet as well but it is best if you can speak to someone in the know face to face. There is ESA, PIP, Housing Benefit, Council tax rebate and others available depending upon how disabled you are. Also contact Occupational Health at your Council who can advise and help with home alterations or equipment that may be necessary.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello again, Darren. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with sleeping. Quite a few people on here find amitrip helps but there are other meds which your GP could prescribe. I think gabapentin is one but I'm not sure as I've never taken it.

Frankly, I think the most we can hope for with meds is that they take the edge off things. Painkillers, as such, don't exist as far as arthritis is concerned.

I don't think benefits are given because of a disease per se but because of how the disease affects us. We usually refer people to Citizens Advice as they're very good with such matters. This might help, though. https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Moving house is always a very busy, stressful time. If you're move will necessitate a change of GP do take a current prescription with you to enable a smooth transfer and no delay in meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 0789blackie
    0789blackie Member Posts: 13
    morning all

another bad nights sleep nighttime been the most painful my ankle is throbbing by then have to put icepack on but have to change every half hour as it seems to defrost but eases the pain the doctor prescribed me amytriptline which doesn't really work does anyone know of another sleeping aid it drives me mad not being able to sleep and does anyone know what benefits im entitled to ive got post traumatic osteoarthritis stage 4 im waiting for a yearly cortisone injection which in my opinion doesn't kill the pain but just takes the edge of a bit I also suffer anxiety and depression which going through the benefit system is so frustrating and stressful ive never done this before as ive always worked hopefully tomorrow will be my last interview with them now ive got my tenancy agreement for a new apartment which as delayed the procedure for 4 weeks but its a struggle getting about now I can't drive due to the medication im taking ive got a free bus mind but ive never been in this position before its like a life changing experience not been able to work I knew this day would come when the cartilage wears and its bone on bone at times the pain is that severe I doing things ive always been very active so hopefully when ive settled in my new apartment I can start swimming cycling and getting back into the gym which takes your mind off the pain and come away feeling real good for a couple of hours any way I would much appreciate any feedback on sleeping meds and any information on benefits

have a nice day all

darren
    thanks for the advice much appreciated
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I can hear your desperation and frustration and it is perfectly understandable. The importance of quality sleep is never to be underestimated but achieving it can be so hard. I have been offered amitryptaline and/or gabapentin but they are of no interest: in your situation though, being comparatively young and still able to contribute to society, it's very different. I suspect you were hoping the amitryp would lead to a pain-free restful and restorative night's sleep but it don't work that way. Am I right in thinking your arthritis is affecting an ankle? I am sure that can make things worse as the pain is more apparent. Males are also more sensitive to pain than females which does not help.

The benefit I claimed was Disabled Living Allowance (I was given a lifetime award which at least acknowledged that my arthritis was never going to get better) but that has been changed to Personal Independance Payment and will only be payable until retirement age. I had my interview for this a fortnight ago and fully epect to lose it but my situation is not yours. The Citizen Advice Bureau will be better placed to advise about what you can claim but, as with anything involving the government, speed is not of the essence. This can leave people in an income void which only adds to their difficulties and stress.

Sleep is an ongoing issue for many on here, it seems to be part-and-parcel of having arthritis. Having something which meds cannot actually fix is far from fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben