steroid injection and now possible surgery

kfrweaving
kfrweaving Member Posts: 45
edited 14. Aug 2019, 12:19 in Living with arthritis
Yesterday i was lucky to get a cancellation for getting a steroid injection into my hip that i know will help with pain for at least a couple of months.......this now means that i can travel by bus and see my family on the east coast of Scotland!
But i've been told that there has been a slight deterioration in the bone . The steroid injections are only a temporary measure and they won't do another one as it is unlikely to give much pain relief. So i've been told that when i see my consultant in about 2-3 months i'll be talking about hip surgery. This freaks me out as i'm only in my mid 40s, but the doctor who i spoke to said that i have to think about the quality of life that i have now and the quality of life i could have with a new hip. I didn't think that they did operations or procedures for someone my age. I know that there are different types of operations for the hip, but the consultant will explain this. Certainly the thought of being able to do more walking and other daily activities fills me with happiness after all the benefits nightmares i've been going through over the last few months. Yesterday i was crying a bit, just simply because emotionally i'm exhausted. But it makes me so thankful to have excellent nurses and doctors in the NHS. No pain overnight which was wonderful. As a tapestry weaver i certainly am learning that life is a tapestry of so many different things!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope the steroid injection proves to be helpful, as you may have read on here sometimes they kick in and sometimes not. The pain will eventually return because the steroid merely masks but I guess a respite makes it worth while. It's unusual to hear of one so young being offered the possibility of surgery so try not to get your hopes up too high. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    The jab is only a temporary measure . Of course it’s daunting to be worried about a replacement. Your surgeon is right to say it’s the quality of life that’s important.i had mine 4 years ago, walking unaided within 4 weeks. Yes you are young but I know someone who had both hips replaced in his 30’s. Never looked back.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope the injection helps for a while and please don't freak out about surgery. For a start, waiting times are long, especially over the winter when falls on wet or icy pavements cause delays in elective orthopaedic surgery. But also because hip replacement surgery is a hugely successful operation. I've had two with excellent results.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kfrweaving
    kfrweaving Member Posts: 45
    Despite having the steroid injection not that long ago, i'm still having short bursts of pain. Last night i had a twinge of pain, rolled over and fell out of bed! I can laugh at it now, but at 1am in the morning it wasn't funny.
    However i've had grab rails fitted to the outside and inside of the house, so i'm happy!
    Will just see how the hip pain goes.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I hope you are not too sore after that tumble. Steroids do not necessarily remove all the pain which I think is a heavily disguised blessing as it stops us stressing damaged joints beyond their limits: when you can't feel them you hurt them more. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben