looming thr

Options
tezzerae
tezzerae Member Posts: 10
edited 16. Aug 2019, 10:17 in Living with arthritis
Hi. I'm heading towards total hip replacement (NHS) at the end of August. I live alone and am starting to attempt to get my home in order for post op. A tall order as I really don't know how I'll feel...or rather how bad I'll feel. I'm assuming almost no mobility for a while. I've raised a couple of chairs, got a couple of perching chairs, am thinking of ordering a compression sock putter on as there may well not be a helping hand that often.
I feel pretty scared at times... fair enough, I guess I'd be a little unrealistic to not!
I have someone to stay the first night (maybe two) and neighbours/friends to do shopping.
I've casually started doing some of the exercises to get used to them.
Anyway, perhaps you could point me to the correct and relevant page for those pre and post op. It's likely I may need a bit of encouragement and chivvying along. And it might well be a good idea to share my journey.
Bye for now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi tezzerae,

Lovely to meet you, your hip operation will be well worth it, the change is brilliant.

I’m not sure how it works in your area but you should be seen by someone who will visit your home and assess your needs post op, like chair height and raised toilet seat as it’s important not to bend your hip more than 90 degrees.

Here’s our booklet regarding hip replacement, it’s quite comprehensive

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

and here’s a link full of ideas for going into hospital, when you’ve had experience you might be able to add on a suggestion on your own

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18036

Keep posting especially post op when you are a bit limited in what you can do - good luck for August

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • tezzerae
    Options
    Thanks Yvonne. No, noone has visited. I'm in Bristol and going to the Spire (NHS) they gave me a pre-op and I gave them measurements of bed, chair. loo and they're sending me a perching chair, loo seat and trolley.
    I have checked with Helping Hand who have some sort of aid for putting on compression stockings. The Spire don't provide that and it looks like a good investment.
    I'm about to check out the
    'great tips' post.
    Many Thanks
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have not had any joints replaced but there is a thread at the top of this board called . . . . something about practical advice for . . . . oh for crying out loud, I read it thrice to try and lodge it briefly in my memory and have failed. :oops: :x Off to read it again with the hope of being able to repeat it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Topic with practical advice for hospital and daily life. That's the one.

I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis plus fibromyalgia and currently life is very trying. I hope that you find that thread to be of interest, it's a distillation of others' experiences because you are not the first to be facing this kind of thing alone and won't be the last. i wish you well, please let us know how you get on. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've had two THRs – both brilliant – but I don't envy you having to go it alone. I was in the luxurious position of having a husband and, for the first, a mother to help out.

I don't know how useful the thread others suggested will be. It's a bit out of date but still makes lots of useful points which you might not have thought of.

To me, the essential things are rest and exercises in the early days. Lots of both and as few things to detract from them as possible ie meals and housework.

You say you have friends who will shop for you and that's good. You might feel that taking out a grocery delivery account with one of the big supermarkets is even better. I would certainly recommend making and freezing some meals in advance and / or buying some ready meals and freezing them. Good, healthy food will aid recovery but rest is essential.

You will probably be sent home with elbow crutches or sticks. Think about how you'll carry even the humble-but-vital cuppa into another room. I have RA ie virtually all my joints are affected so I'm always sent home with a zimmer which I immediately have to discard and walk round the furniture instead. How will you cope?

What about showering / washing? I suggest you ask while in hospital. I used to have a bath lift (because of my widespread RA) and now have a walk-in shower with an excellent seat. I can't remember when we're allowed in the bath / shower post-op but I also have a long-handled washing stick which I take with me to any friends' houses in which I can't access the shower. It's very useful. https://www.abilitysuperstore.com/products/homecraft-long-handled-sheepskin-pad

I'm certainly not trying to put you off. My THRs (and TKRs) have all been great. But trying to sort things in advance is, as you've realised, the way to success. And of course we'll be here to 'chivvy you along' :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi. I had my hip replacement at Southmead Hospital which being from Bristol you will know it. Spire how posh! . I went to an introductory morning at Southmead pre surgery. I had to take bed height measurements,chair and local mobility aid company provided blocks to heighten bed and chair and also a raised toilet seat on a stand. Also a high chair to use in the bathroom for washing as that’s what I had to do for a while because not allowed to get area wet in a shower and definitely not allowed to have a bath. The most useful gadgets supplied by Southmead were walking sticks,a stick which on one end had a hook for pulling on clothes and the other end a rubber thimble for pushing clothes off. If you lived alone you were given a grabber. Useful for picking up things you dropped. Also shown correct way to get into bed and we had to show we did that plus post excercises correctly Friend went to the Spire and it wasn’t so informative . Southmead were great and we all had our own room with en-suite. Bet the food is better in the Spire.If you can pre make meals and freeze or stock up on ready meals that might help in the first few weeks. Do your post op excercises and before you know it all will be well.
  • tezzerae
    Options
    Jackie47 wrote:
    Hi. I had my hip replacement at Southmead Hospital which being from Bristol you will know it. Spire how posh! . I went to an introductory morning at Southmead pre surgery. I had to take bed height measurements,chair and local mobility aid company provided blocks to heighten bed and chair and also a raised toilet seat on a stand. Also a high chair to use in the bathroom for washing as that’s what I had to do for a while because not allowed to get area wet in a shower and definitely not allowed to have a bath. The most useful gadgets supplied by Southmead were walking sticks,a stick which on one end had a hook for pulling on clothes and the other end a rubber thimble for pushing clothes off. If you lived alone you were given a grabber. Useful for picking up things you dropped. Also shown correct way to get into bed and we had to show we did that plus post excercises correctly Friend went to the Spire and it wasn’t so informative . Southmead were great and we all had our own room with en-suite. Bet the food is better in the Spire.If you can pre make meals and freeze or stock up on ready meals that might help in the first few weeks. Do your post op excercises and before you know it all will be well.

Hi Jackie 47. It's the closest and I was thinking taxi fare (oh how naiive and rash!)
    Anyone going NHS likely best to go to Southmead, as you did, or Emersons Green where you'll have more aids provided. Harder to get from the Spire.
    Quite a bit of time was taken up sorting out the aftercare rules. Especially someone being there.
    My surgeon had said I'd be ok to go home to an empty home as they wouldn't let me out til I was ready (done stairs etc) but the preop nurse said...'Oh No, we can't allow that. You should have someone there for 2 weeks'... they later dropped it to 2 days. So I was a bit thrown... truth be known I felt guilty and under pressure. I do realise it will be a challenge and pretty tough.... but the reality will only become what it is, when it's done.
    But I've bitten the bullet and sorted out someone for 2 days. And yes, it was hard to ask and yes, I'm very grateful as I know I don't know how (vulnerable, unable, challenged) I'll be.
    Thanks for the tips. Defrosting the freezer in preparation this weekend.
  • tezzerae
    Options
    I've had two THRs – both brilliant – but I don't envy you having to go it alone. I was in the luxurious position of having a husband and, for the first, a mother to help out.

I don't know how useful the thread others suggested will be. It's a bit out of date but still makes lots of useful points which you might not have thought of.

To me, the essential things are rest and exercises in the early days. Lots of both and as few things to detract from them as possible ie meals and housework.

You say you have friends who will shop for you and that's good. You might feel that taking out a grocery delivery account with one of the big supermarkets is even better. I would certainly recommend making and freezing some meals in advance and / or buying some ready meals and freezing them. Good, healthy food will aid recovery but rest is essential.

You will probably be sent home with elbow crutches or sticks. Think about how you'll carry even the humble-but-vital cuppa into another room. I have RA ie virtually all my joints are affected so I'm always sent home with a zimmer which I immediately have to discard and walk round the furniture instead. How will you cope?

What about showering / washing? I suggest you ask while in hospital. I used to have a bath lift (because of my widespread RA) and now have a walk-in shower with an excellent seat. I can't remember when we're allowed in the bath / shower post-op but I also have a long-handled washing stick which I take with me to any friends' houses in which I can't access the shower. It's very useful. https://www.abilitysuperstore.com/products/homecraft-long-handled-sheepskin-pad

I'm certainly not trying to put you off. My THRs (and TKRs) have all been great. But trying to sort things in advance is, as you've realised, the way to success. And of course we'll be here to 'chivvy you along' :D

Hi Stickywicket.
    Yes, scary for sure... and I have no idea as it's my first major op of any kind!
    I have a trolley which may help transport stuff and will use a rucksack for bits. Making a phone bag to tie round my neck. Washing will be stool on plastic by sink. I shall be looking longingly at the shower for weeks. Getting a toe washer and a compression sock putter-on thing. (Helping Hand)
    No housework...Yay!! Not that I am a fanatic by any means. I'll leave the vacuum out and ask some kindly soul to push it about a bit every so often.
    I'm getting in loads of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and will try to avoid bread cheese biscuits (who am I kidding but perhaps my bowels will remind me!)
    I will have to get used to steps and crutches as I have no outside rail and 8 steps... has to be done.
    And I will post how I'm getting on.
  • tezzerae
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Topic with practical advice for hospital and daily life. That's the one.

I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis plus fibromyalgia and currently life is very trying. I hope that you find that thread to be of interest, it's a distillation of others' experiences because you are not the first to be facing this kind of thing alone and won't be the last. i wish you well, please let us know how you get on. DD

Thanks Dreamdaisy. Blimey, that's tough. Stops me in my tracks as my health is not too bad. All I can do is send love and respect. And say thanks for taking an interest, offering advice and suggesting the link. x
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    tezzerae wrote:
    Jackie47 wrote:

Hi Jackie 47. It's the closest and I was thinking taxi fare (oh how naiive and rash!)
    Anyone going NHS likely best to go to Southmead, as you did, or Emersons Green where you'll have more aids provided. Harder to get from the Spire.
    Quite a bit of time was taken up sorting out the aftercare rules. Especially someone being there.
    My surgeon had said I'd be ok to go home to an empty home as they wouldn't let me out til I was ready (done stairs etc) but the preop nurse said...'Oh No, we can't allow that. You should have someone there for 2 weeks'... they later dropped it to 2 days. So I was a bit thrown... truth be known I felt guilty and under pressure. I do realise it will be a challenge and pretty tough.... but the reality will only become what it is, when it's done.
    But I've bitten the bullet and sorted out someone for 2 days. And yes, it was hard to ask and yes, I'm very grateful as I know I don't know how (vulnerable, unable, challenged) I'll be.
    Thanks for the tips. Defrosting the freezer in preparation this weekend.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're welcome, information from a patient's point of view and experience, support and encouragement is what the forum is all about.

I remember saying on here somewhere that yes, I have a disease but no, I am not ill. That was because I usually feel well within myself, it's just pain and damaged joints which cause the problems. Due to a change in medication I have been properly feeling ill which is why life has been tougher for the past few months.

I see that jackie47 has given you some very useful information, what a piece of luck she is in your area! Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on, it is not an easy time and is a daunting experience but many have done the same, come out the other side and left the forum because they are better. Go for it, be like them! DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'd be doing you no favours by minimising the difficulties you'll face with a flight of steps and no rail. Please make sure the physio and OT are aware of this before they let you out. I recall someone on here in similar circumstances, though I think hers was a knee not a hip. I won't say she messed it up doing too many stairs too soon (out of necessity) but she had to go back for a revision. The implant just didn't work properly. I'd definitely make plans for grocery deliveries for, say 3 months.

It's good that you have friends who'll come in and even better that you're happy to let them take the vac for a walk :wink: Some people are just too proud to ask but I firmly believe in graciously accepting all help offered. The more you can concentrate on your recovery alone the quicker it will be.

I'm not quite sure what sort of a trolley you mean but, if it's one of those like a couple of trays on wheels, it should be great as you can use it not only for food etc but also to stabilise yourself at first. If your loo is any distance from your bedroom, leave a light on at night even if only a night light. Don't risk falling.

Fruit and nuts should assist with the potential 'blockage' :wink: caused by pain relief. Even at my worst I found 8 prunes per day preferable to pharmaceutical solutions. (And I don't even like prunes :lol: )

I suggest you get your hair done before you go in as it might be a while after before you feel up to it. Ditto dentist and any other regular appointments.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright