Hi, I have psoriatic arthritis- anyone else got this?

Options
Olivecon
Olivecon Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi, I have heen diagnosed with psotiatic arthritis 11 years ago , im 39 now.

I have 3children and work part time as a carer. Which is very hard to maintain at times 😩

Im on the waiting list for a wrist reconstruction and an ankle fusion and tendon reconstruction, has anyone got experience of these operations?

Also I live in North Wales, anyone else local?

Xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA plus OA and fibromyalgia but there the similarity ends; I am 60, deliberately childless, retired and live in Suffolk. I began when I was 37, for various reasons did not start the meds until I was 42 and have had only synovectomy operations on my knees.

There are quite a few on here with PsA, I hope they see your post and reply. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Olivecon,

Lovely to meet you, welcome to the forum. It must be very hard being a mum to 3 children and a carer, you should be proud of yourself.

It seems like wrist reconstruction is to do with ligaments, I haven’t got a handy leaflet for you but this one deals generally with wrist surgery and may be of help

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/

This leaflet deals with ankle operations

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/foot-and-ankle-surgery/

Do let us know how you get on, we have a handy thread on going into hospital which i can point you to if you like

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi olivecon and welcome from me too. I have RA not PsA and my wrists and ankles have fused themselves.

It must be hard working with children given your condition. Very painful too.

I don't think a hand reconstruction is a very common operation. I certainly don't remember reading of it on here before. I found this, though. www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-tendon-repair/

If you re-post on the Living With Arthritis forum you might find some people who have had ankle fusion. I think that's a bit more mainstream. My impression is that it's a successful op.

With both operations, though, you'll need to factor in a lot of recovery time. In the case of foot surgery it has to be non-weight bearing at first. This must be hard but very worthwhile.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CitizenErased
    CitizenErased Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey - I'm a fellow sufferer! I'm also based in Chester so not far from you. And also in my 30s. I don't have children though so I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

What drug treatments have you been through in your 11 years?