wrist fusion

witsend
witsend Member Posts: 3
edited 2. Sep 2019, 12:16 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone

After 2 and a half years of being passed from pillar to post I finally got a diagnosis of RA in my wrists. That was 2 years ago and now my orthopaedic surgeons have told me that there is absolutely no cartilage left in my left wrist which will explain the constant excruciating pain I suffer.

They are recommending that I have a wrist fusion done. They tell me that this is the only option for me. Apparently wrist replacement surgery is in its infancy and may have progressed far enough by the time my right wrist needs surgical intervention. They tell me that I will lose certain movements in my wrist but these movements are ones I have already lost due to the pain. They tell me I will gain some strength back including grip, but the main thing is I will lose the pain.

Have any of you had this surgery? Is what they are telling me true? Have any of you experienced complications?

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi witsend
    Welcome to the forum,you must be in a lot of pain. I personally haven't had a wrist fusion but there may be someone on the forum who has,most fusions have limited movements as it is a fixture. Everyone on the forum understands about pain and arthritis everyone also has various forms of Arthritis. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've not had the surgery. My own wrists fused themselves but I don't recommend that. Fusion by operation will be quicker and far less painful :wink: To be honest, I can't remember how a normal wris works but mine work well enough for me. They don't turn, though I can turn my arms from my elbows. I guess how you would like it depends on what you have now and what you hope to have. But, for me, the trade odd between movement and lack of pain is fine. If you've any questions you think I can help with just fire away.

I certainly wouldn't hang out for a replacement. The wrist is a complicated beast just like the ankle. Ankle replacements are, I think, further ahead than wrists but my impression is that ankle fusion is still a better, more reliable, lasting option.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • witsend
    witsend Member Posts: 3
    I've not had the surgery. My own wrists fused themselves but I don't recommend that. Fusion by operation will be quicker and far less painful :wink: To be honest, I can't remember how a normal wris works but mine work well enough for me. They don't turn, though I can turn my arms from my elbows. I guess how you would like it depends on what you have now and what you hope to have. But, for me, the trade odd between movement and lack of pain is fine. If you've any questions you think I can help with just fire away.

I certainly wouldn't hang out for a replacement. The wrist is a complicated beast just like the ankle. Ankle replacements are, I think, further ahead than wrists but my impression is that ankle fusion is still a better, more reliable, lasting option.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Witsend, this is a perennial problem for newbies. . They intend to post a reply with a quote then find they have the quote but not the reply. Next time, forget the 'reply with quote' tab, go to the other side and down slightly, and just hit the 'reply' tab. And good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • remmingtonwildhunter
    remmingtonwildhunter Member Posts: 66
    Hi Witsend ive had both my wrist fused my right in 1999 by an old school surgeon in plaster for 7 months...
    Had my left one done in 2005 proper surgeon two week drain in 8weeks in plaster they take the top of your ilac crest (hip ) best thing i had done bit of a problem opening gates but i even passed my blue belt in aikido with fibre glass plaster in 2000..
    best thing i ever did....