O.A Fibromyalgia or Menopause???

Tanya
Tanya Member Posts: 17
edited 15. Nov 2019, 02:02 in Chat to our Helpline Team
Hello lovely poeple.

I wonder if any women (of a certin age) are struggling with menopause symptoms and coping with OA. I was diagnosed with OA in my knees and lumbar spine ealrier this year. As I was recently experiencing unusual pains, not sleeping well at all, so terrible fatigue and brain fog, I visited my GP and he queried Fibromyalgia, so did a load of blood tests to rule out other possible conditions. These all came back clear, thankfully.

However, when I returned and saw another GP as advised, (the GP I saw initially was a locum btw) he said he wouldn't diganose Fibromyalgia as my symptoms could be just menopausal. However the random shooting and stabbing pains, soreness and tingling sensations I am not sure are linked with the menopause, although I appreciate that the fatigue and brain fog are...I also have night sweats.

Not that I particularly want to have Fibromyalgia, but just wondering if any other women have had similar experiences?

I am doing my best to alieviate sympoms with swimming at least 3 times a week and considering taking amitryptaline, which was prescribed by the GP....
:?

Comments

• Jayuk
    Jayuk Member Posts: 24
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi have you had blood tests to rule out other conditions. I have fibromyalgia and also have underactive thyroid and the symptoms are identical. Maybe ask doctor to run some tests to rule out other conditions.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Hi Tanya

Many thanks for your forum post and I apologise for the delay in responding. I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with the menopause as well as coping with OA, both of which can have their challenges.

I can understand you asking the GP about fibromyalgia, as some of the symptoms you describe can be associated with this condition: https://www.versusarthritis.org/aboutarthritis/conditions/fibromyalgia/

You mention random shooting and stabbing pains, soreness and tingling sensation and whether they could be connected to the menopause.
    We are not medically trained on the helpline, so are unable to offer a diagnosis. However, it sounds as if it would be worth talking to the doctor about the pains you are describing, to find out why you are feeling those sensations. If you are having no joy with the GP and are concerned you could ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.

It’s great that you are swimming, as keeping moving is so important for OA and the menopause.

For other people’s experiences you might like to repost on our ‘living with arthritis’ forum where you will receive further responses.
    You also mention amitriptyline, this is sometimes given to help with pain and sleep, you’ll find further information about this within this link: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/amitriptyline/ and some further information about the menopause rom the NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menopause/

You are very welcome to call our helpline 0800 520 0520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes
    Lynda
    Helpline advisor
  • Tanya
    Jayuk wrote:
    Hi have you had blood tests to rule out other conditions. I have fibromyalgia and also have underactive thyroid and the symptoms are identical. Maybe ask doctor to run some tests to rule out other conditions.

Hi, Thanks for replying. Yes I have had blood tests and also have underactive thyroid, but bloods for other conditions were negative, thankfully.
    :)
  • Tanya
    Hi Tanya

Many thanks for your forum post and I apologise for the delay in responding. I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with the menopause as well as coping with OA, both of which can have their challenges.

I can understand you asking the GP about fibromyalgia, as some of the symptoms you describe can be associated with this condition: https://www.versusarthritis.org/aboutarthritis/conditions/fibromyalgia/

You mention random shooting and stabbing pains, soreness and tingling sensation and whether they could be connected to the menopause.
    We are not medically trained on the helpline, so are unable to offer a diagnosis. However, it sounds as if it would be worth talking to the doctor about the pains you are describing, to find out why you are feeling those sensations. If you are having no joy with the GP and are concerned you could ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.

It’s great that you are swimming, as keeping moving is so important for OA and the menopause.

For other people’s experiences you might like to repost on our ‘living with arthritis’ forum where you will receive further responses.
    You also mention amitriptyline, this is sometimes given to help with pain and sleep, you’ll find further information about this within this link: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/amitriptyline/ and some further information about the menopause rom the NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menopause/

You are very welcome to call our helpline 0800 520 0520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes
    Lynda
    Helpline advisor

Thank you Lynda for your message and links to further sources of information. Much appreciated. :)
  • Jayuk
    Jayuk Member Posts: 24
    Hi tanya, I can really relate to your message. I remember not being convinced that I fibromyalgia when I was diagnosed I had lots of tests and was sat down by rheumatologist consultant and having it explained to me and being told its also connected with underactive thyroid. Have you had your b12 and folate tested as theses can be low with people with underactive thyroid as I'm deficient in both. Have you had antibodies tested to see if its autoimmune disease.
  • Tanya
    Jayuk wrote:
    Hi tanya, I can really relate to your message. I remember not being convinced that I fibromyalgia when I was diagnosed I had lots of tests and was sat down by rheumatologist consultant and having it explained to me and being told its also connected with underactive thyroid. Have you had your b12 and folate tested as theses can be low with people with underactive thyroid as I'm deficient in both. Have you had antibodies tested to see if its autoimmune disease.

Thanks for your reply...I will check when I see the GP next for exactly what I have been tested for and enquire about other tests. It seems like wading through fog sometimes trying to get difinitive answers to symptoms but I guess there is a process of elimination to go through before getting a diagnosis...patience is a virtue!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Hi Tanya and Jayuk

While having investigations and those medical discussions, it can be really helpful to keep on at your own self-management. So things like having a routine each day of gentle exercise and setting goals (to have some fresh air, getting chores done) can really support good physical and emotional health. And eating a balanced diet rich in fruit and veg can play a really helpful role too. Whenever Fibromyalgia is a possibility, it can be worthwhile keeping to a routine that supports best possible sleep (look up sleep hygiene on the NHS).

Very best wishes

Guy (Helpline Team)
  • Tanya
    Hi Tanya and Jayuk

While having investigations and those medical discussions, it can be really helpful to keep on at your own self-management. So things like having a routine each day of gentle exercise and setting goals (to have some fresh air, getting chores done) can really support good physical and emotional health. And eating a balanced diet rich in fruit and veg can play a really helpful role too. Whenever Fibromyalgia is a possibility, it can be worthwhile keeping to a routine that supports best possible sleep (look up sleep hygiene on the NHS).

Very best wishes

Guy (Helpline Team)

Thank you for your response Guy, I do all of the things you recommend as I think without them my symptoms would be a lot worse. I am currently still working full time and this I do find challenging to be honest. However I have found the information and advice on this forum very helpful...and particualrly if I do have to consider reducing my hours at work in the future, as my condition deteriorates. My motto to myself is "keep on keeping on" :)
  • Henrietta
    Henrietta Member Posts: 44
    Just thought I would say Hi Tanya as I'm a newbie but could have written most of your post myself so found all your replies helpful.
    I'm glad I've found this forum and I will dig out my vitamin B12 supplement again as I found this helpful in the past but I am really bad at keeping up the good habits.