ra confirmation

bella123
bella123 Member Posts: 7
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:13 in News Archive
hi

i am new here, was told two days ago that i have ra, have been given medication of Methotrexate, have read a lot of scarey stories, not sure what to expect over the next few weeks.
any help would be appreciated thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi bella123
    Welcome to the forum,yes it is pretty scary when you have first been diagnosed with Arthritis of any kind. We all understand that as we felt just the same not knowing what to expect. Everyone on the forum understands about pain and have various forms of Arthritis. We will try and make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Bella and welcome from me too. I've had RA for well over 50 years (I started at 15) and my life improved enormously once I was put on methotrexate.

It can have side effects and people are often very scared of them but most people don't get them. Probably you won't see much improvement for a few weeks but then it should kick in. I presume you have also been prescribed folic acid. This helps to counteract any potential side effects.

Do keep up with your regular blood tests as any potential problems will then be highlighted before they become actual ones. Get you free flu jab as soon as they come out and, from now on, do your best to stay away from people with colds and sniffles. We have to dampen down our overactive immune systems in order to deal with the arthritis but that can leave us more open to colds etc so it make sense to be extra vigilant. I always use the anti-bac gel and wipes and I don't think I get any more colds etc than my husband.

I do hope the meth works for you. Sometimes a second med has to be added or even used instead of it but it's a great starting med.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have a different kind of auto-immune arthritis and have been taking methotrexate for years. I have no bother with it whatsoever apart from occasionally feeling extra tired the following day after I've done the injection. I began with tablet meth back in 2002 and developed a rash which after severe eczema did not bother me in the slightest but bothered my rheumatologist.

I've never read up on the net about others experiences and never will. Those people are not me, do not reflect my life and experience, have different physiologies plus different emotional and physical tolerances. Having lived life since the age of 12 enabled by medication I never think twice about trying something new. When taking these meds we are closely monitored and I know from experience that the monitoring works.

I am now 60, in my 23rd year and have more going on than my psoriatic arthritis. I am not having a good day so will go now but I wanted to acknowledge your post. We get it because we've got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi bella

If you would like more information about methotrexate, we have a dedicated page to it on our website:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/methotrexate/

Brynmor
  • bella123
    thank you for all your replies, i have now taken my second dose of methotrexate, my first week i did not have any symptoms except being a little tired but this week has not been great, i have had sickness, eye infections which i have never had before, head ache and a really sore throat (but other that that all ok lol), spoke to my doctor who said he will review everything over the next week to make sure i do not get worse. i am hoping its just a settling in period, i am trying to ignore it as i do not want to make myself feel worse. is this a normal reaction for the first few weeks ??
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry to read this but it's all too easy for us to blame either the disease or the meds for all that goes wrong. Sometimes it's just life :roll: Even so, Keep up with the extra hygiene precautions. Lots of hand washing and anti-bac gel. And always take the meth with food. I hope things improve.
    Steven Wright
  • bella123
    I'm sorry to read this but it's all too easy for us to blame either the disease or the meds for all that goes wrong. Sometimes it's just life :roll: Even so, Keep up with the extra hygiene precautions. Lots of hand washing and anti-bac gel. And always take the meth with food. I hope things improve.

i think you are right, everyone seems to be picking up this bug that is going around, so maybe i would have got this anyhow.

i have been taking meth at night with a glass of water, so will try it with some food and hopefully that should help with the stomach ache. feeling great today though :)
  • stickywicket
    By all means carry on taking it at night as that helps some people. Just take a small amount of food with it eg a plain biscuit.
    Steven Wright
  • bella123
    thanks for that, i will do

feeling great today, it must have just been a virus last week that i had picked up.
  • stickywicket
    Good :D Well, kind of :wink:

I hope it continues to work for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    It’s scary at first being diagnosed. We read horror stories,happy stories but we all react differently .You’ve had some good advice . Good luck with the Methotrexate and try to carry on as normal learning on the way to pace yourself,live a fun, healthy life.. You are you. I was diagnosed 14 years ago had various meds and treatments and for the first 10 didn’t know I had it. Bit shaky at the moment but I’m in charge not the disease. Good luck