Going to the gym

Options
alykat
alykat Member Posts: 12
edited 11. Oct 2019, 14:06 in Living with arthritis
Hi

I am 60 years of age and relatively fit but want to improve my fitness levels, as well as Nordic walking and Pilates I also want to increase my upper body strength so I joined a gym. But I am really struggling with the equipment as I have inflammatory osteoarthritis in my fingers which is very painful and makes it hard to grip things. I have found that all the equipment requires me to have a good grip whether I am pulling, pushing or lifting. Does anyone know of any adaptions or gloves or something I can use?

Thanks for the input

Alykat

Comments

• S3ren85
    S3ren85 Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alykat

I have a gym membership but since I had a very painful winter last year I haven't been! I do however use fingerless gloves that i order off amazon.co.uk that have grips on so they might work? My gym offer a free consultation service so maybe speak to a trainer and explain your situation and see what they advise :) good for you for making yourself go...its on my to do list!
  • khaleej
    khaleej Member Posts: 1
    Options
    alykat wrote:
    Hi

I am 60 years of age and relatively fit but want to improve my fitness levels, as well as Nordic walking and Pilates I also want to increase my upper body strength so I joined a gym. But I am really struggling with the equipment as I have inflammatory osteoarthritis in my fingers which is very painful and makes it hard to grip things. I have found that all the equipment requires me to have a good grip whether I am pulling, pushing or lifting. Does anyone know of any adaptions or gloves or something I can use?

Thanks for the input

Alykat

Hello Alykat

It would be more helpful to talk to a professional trainer.
  • alykat
    alykat Member Posts: 12
    Options
    S3ren85 wrote:
    Hi Alykat

I have a gym membership but since I had a very painful winter last year I haven't been! I do however use fingerless gloves that i order off amazon.co.uk that have grips on so they might work? My gym offer a free consultation service so maybe speak to a trainer and explain your situation and see what they advise :) good for you for making yourself go...its on my to do list!

Thanks, I have found that all the trainers are about 12 and do not understand my limitations. Plus as I work full time any classes for the older person/not so able are in the day time. But I will try again. Not giving up yet.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I joined a local authority gym just before having a knee replacement revised. I found the young man (not 12 :wink: ) very helpful, warning me which machines I should avoid and which I should go on very briefy. Everything had to be set at the lowest level for me but he was great at helping.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright