Can anyone give me advice on appealing a PIP decision?

Kayls97
Kayls97 Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Oct 2019, 11:00 in Work and financial support
I’m 22 with arthritis in my hip and it affects me getting out with my daughter who is 1. I go out because I have to because I don’t want my little girl stuck in the house and I have a dog which I need to take out because I have to. It causes me a lot of pain and they have said I can carry out the exercises they give you fine yet in my opinion I don’t think the exercises they get you to carry out are anything to do with my hip at all? I am looking for some advice as I’m wanting to appeal against this decision

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kayls97,

Welcome to the forum. You have been turned down for PIP and now need to appeal. If you feel you have mobility problems or need help caring for yourself at home then you should appeal.

You are right in thinking you need help, I know CAB are good at this, they have a website which has advice and you will be able to see where your nearest CAB office is, you might be able to make an appointment too.

Collecting evidence is usually crucial, and working out how far the distances are for PIP re walking. Remember PIP aren’t concerned with your daughter, focus everything on you and the difficulties you have. Here’s where to find the advice on our website

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/financial-support/

Good luck, let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Kayls97

I am sorry they refused your application, but think it's worth appealing - you have nothing to lose.

Get on to Citizen's Advice ASAP don't delay and start gathering your evidence together. Letters from GP, consultant etc all useful.

Is it possible that you are using your daughter's pushchair as a sort of mobility aid? I know I have done so in the past.

Best of luck with your appeal

Toni xx
  • Dolly2014
    Dolly2014 Member Posts: 1
    I have Arthritis in my hands, hips, knees and feet and I had a letter today saying that I am not entitled to pip, I have a toddler and my older son has moved back home to help with daily tasks. It said in the letter that I looked up together and my clothing was of good condition, it also mentioned about me driving. Does having Arthritis mean that I cannot wash ? Brush my hair ? Wear clean clothes ? What they don't take into account is how long it can take me to get out of bed in the mornings, open bottles and cans, peel vegetables, walk very far, being in constant pain, it affects every part of my life but it seems to me that they only focused on my appearance. Should I take it to a tribunal ? I have been signed off by my GP and the job centre are pushing me to go back to work, but I'm not too tell any employer that would employ me about my Arthritis. So what happens if I have to take alot of time off work ? Or I'm constantly late due to the constant pain and stiffness ? What happens then ?
    I'm a single mum and I feel it's unjustified. Does anyone have the same problem ? I'm 49 soon and the job centre said that I can go back to college to get some more qualifications but by the time I spend so many years studying my life will be more a less over.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Dolly2014, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. You are definitely entitled to appeal the decision. I have provided the link to the advise on our website.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/financial-support/

I am also aware the CAB (Citizens Advise Bureau) can help in these situations. Their website has has advice and you might be able to make an appointment with your nearest office.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Dolly,

I'm sorry your PIP application was not successful but you are not alone. Many are refused but go on to appeal successfully so all is not lost. CAB are the best people to advise.

I have no idea why decent clothes or driving should come into it. Many of us have to choose our clothes carefully to ensure we can put them on and take them off but this isn't a means test. As for driving – we have to have higher rate mobility component to get access to Motability cars so the fact that you can drive should not be an obstacle. It's possible, though, that they asked about driving to see how far you'd had to walk from a car park or bus stop (if you're able to access buses).

As regards washing, and brushing hair, yes, unfortunately for many of us they are difficult activities. I had a bath lift for years but still required my husband's help to wash the bits that arthritis prevents me accessing. Now that I have a walk-in shower I can wash all except my hair for myself. Even with an extended, long-handled comb, though, I tend to miss bits at the back :oops:

Getting up , showered and dressed can be very difficult and time-consuming, I agree. You should see all my bedside table dressing aids :lol: I'm very limited in the clothes I can wear. Dresses and tights went out years ago. It's trousers, socks and my surgical shoes now with blouses or long-sleeved tops. (Can't get a grip on short sleeved ones.)

For bottles I have an electric jar opener and for cans an electric can opener. They're brilliant and very long-lasting. I'm sure that you, like me, will have worked out your own way of making everyday activities less painful.

To tell new bosses or not to tell? This topic has come up more than once. It's a personal decision. One thing I would advise is that, with any job, you join your union. They will always fight your corner for you. But qualifications don't take years to acquire. Even some degrees can be gained while working. A lady on here – 'Marcia' – recently did an online course. And, I promise you, life doesn't end at 49 :lol: There is lots of fun to be had for many arthritic years after that.

Do ask CAB about an appeal or a re-application.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright