Shingles

Mozzer
Mozzer Member Posts: 10
edited 11. Oct 2019, 08:40 in Living with arthritis
Hullo all,

I am currently taking Cosentyx (Secucinamaub?) for my arthritis which, right now, the consultant thinks is following a psoriatic pattern.

My place of work has just notified us that someone has shingles...should I stay off work or speak to my doctor?

Any advice??

Thank you.

Paul

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mozzer,

I think you should ring your Rheumatologist nurse first thing to check, better safe than sorry, and they are the best people to advise you, if you haven’t got one, ring your rheumatologist's secretary, she can find out and let you know.

It may be someone here will have experience and be able to reassure you, in the mean time safety first

Yvonne x
  • Mozzer
    Mozzer Member Posts: 10
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Mozzer,

I think you should ring your Rheumatologist nurse first thing to check, better safe than sorry, and they are the best people to advise you, if you haven’t got one, ring your rheumatologist's secretary, she can find out and let you know.

It may be someone here will have experience and be able to reassure you, in the mean time safety first

Yvonne x

Thank you for that Yvonne.

I have spoken with a friend who is a Consultant (not in rheumatology) and he seemed to think that the risk was low but that I should speak with either someone in rheumatology or my GP to see what is best.

Paul
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't recognise the name of your medication but if it is an immuno-suppressant, and I was taking it, I would minimise the risk to myself by offering to work from home until the all-clear is given. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    i hope you have managed to get in touch with your rheumatology helpline because I suspect the answer might depend on the nature of your workplace ie how many people, how likely you are to have come into contact with the person with shingles or, indeed, with anyone who might have caught it from them.

I know that, once the spots have scabbed over we are relatively safe but this must be a worrying time for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    It’s not possible to catch shingles from someone with shingles or chicken pox. However you can catch Chicken pox from someone with Shingles if you haven’t had chicken pox before.