MRI results on lower back

Options
Jayuk
Jayuk Member Posts: 24
edited 10. Oct 2019, 13:47 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone wondering if someone can interpret theses results so I can understand abit better. Thankyou :) At L4-5 there is disc bulge and a radial annular tear, some facet joint arthropathy but no neural compromise. At L5-S1 there is bilateral broad-based herniation which is with some joint facet arthropathy is causing narrowing of the neural foramina but no neural compromise...

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    For a reliable, trustworthy interpretation you need someone who is qualified to speak the Medical language. Ask your GP or whoever ordered the MRI.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jayuk
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply. I just wanted to ask as I have a long wait to score my next hospital appointment and wanted to see if anyone had anything similar.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    For me to answer your question I would have to google some of the terminology so I reckon you could do that? Without doing so I am fairly sure that a bulging disc resembles an exploding doughnut (learned that from the Supervet), that radial means spreading from a central point, joint facet arthropathy relates (I think) to OA, herniation is another kind of bulge, nerves are not being impinged by the torn/displaced stuff, the Ls are the lumbar vertebrae. Foramina are holes that allow structures to pass from one bony area to another and an annular tear is a rip in a ligament. I don't think there's anything particularly unusual in those results but I am not a doc, just an arthritic who reads far too much about other people, a habit I am trying to break. Good luck and please let us know how you get on once you have seen someone. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jayuk
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply made me laugh. I will have to watch some supervets that has helped me understand.