OA Experience

Options
Kerrieanne
Kerrieanne Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Oct 2019, 10:36 in Living with arthritis
Hello I’m Kerrieanne diagnosed with OA hips,neck and spine in 2017. Mostly wear and tear as expected as nursing for over 40 years. More recently June 2019 worsening pain in left hip - xrays show severe deterioration . Currently managed with Meloxicam 15 mugs daily. Since June increasing pain and left foot turning in,which is new. Now taking codeine and paracetamol appt with GP on 25th. Really noticed decreased quality of life- pain feels relentless- hope GP refers me for hip replacement. Low mood as feeling every second of my 62 years- I’m usually positive, love walking rescue lab and dancing. Just returned from holiday in Greece- looks like my dancing days are over and turning in to a grumpy old lady- any inspiring comments or reassurance?
Kerrieanne

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kerrieanne and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I have moved your post responding to a News article regarding arthritis experiences to a new thread here in Living With Arthritis. If you wish to respond to the article, please send an email to us as requested in the article - mystory@versusarthritis.org

It certainly does sound as though a hip replacement would improve your quality of life. We have a detailed page on the subject on our website:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

Do join in the forums and ask any questions you may have.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Kerrianne

Welcome to the forum from me too.

I very much hope that the issue with your hip can be addressed very soon it sounds as though it needs sorting.

You obviously coped well with all your other issues prior to the deterioration in your hip.

Don't give up on your dancing just yet ((()))

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I began my psoriatic arthritis when I was 37, (it wasn't accurately diagnosed until I was 46) then osteo was diagnosed when I was 52. I am now 60 and the pain is relentless, has been for years and probably always will be. Life became eaiser once the arthritis became widespread, I think it is worse - or felt more keenly - when it's not in many places, it makes it stand out more.

I vaguely remember being able to cycle, dance, swim, play tennis and walk cross-country but that woman is long gone. This must be hard for you if you are coming at this nonsense from a healthy background as the chances are you will lack coping strategies and are probably resenting having to develop them, I know I would. I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips and have used aids since 2002 which has helped to preserve my range of movement in all the those joints in addition to doing (on a daily basis) my post-synovectomy operations physio exercises.

My neighbour had a new hip and gained a whole new lease of life. She was in the right age-bracket and only had the one affected joint (lucky mare) so there was no quibble but I know that surgery won't happen until certain levels of damage have been reached and even then that is no guarantee. In the nicest possible way I hope you meet the criteria and it happens, please let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben