Yoga for arthers

Options
Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
edited 16. Oct 2019, 08:46 in Living with arthritis
As usual I like to be doing things but after a big accident I’ve not been so active, all my joints got shaken up and was very sore. An occupational therapist suggested yoga and after three sessions parts of me were feeling a touch freer but my shoulders and spine were worst so I’ve stepped back from yoga for a few weeks to let things calm down a touch before going back.

The yoga is the easiest one, bending, stretching and breathing which I enjoyed, does anyone have any experience of this?

P.s. can’t do ‘hanging dog’ or whatever it is, I can’t bend my toes due to lack of joints!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry about the accident, are you OK now? A past forum member taught yoga over the summer, it does nothing to relieve her arthritis but it takes her mind elsewhere which is of use. My husband does it and enjoys it, I enjoy him getting out of the way while he does it. Do you do the seated kind? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Ouch! That sounds like a nasty accident, Airwave. I think you were wise to take up yoga and wise to put it on hold for a while until other bits have recovered which I hope will be soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Hi Airwave, sorry about your accident I don't do yoga but have been doing pilates organised by a sports/rehab physio, a group of us all with Arthur and or spinal problems get together and do it. We each do the level we can manage and there is no pressure to do the exercises. It has taken me 3 years to get more mobility in my joints but is hasn't done anything for my pain things are a little freer my core strength is much improved and that helps with balance and I have less falls. I know yoga can help with that too.
    Take a break and go at your own pace choose exercises that don't aggravate your sore bits and I hope you feel less shook up soon.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hiya folks, accident involved neck brace, spinal board, blue lights to hospital and lots of scans, thankfully I seem to have a certain amount of bounce in me so no lasting damage but all my joints feel as though they have been given a good shake.

As for yoga, I would like to go back, next week maybe and try not to be too enthusiastic!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ouch, ouch and more ouch. Yoga is excellent for increasing and maintaining joint flexibility by gently stretching ligaments and tendons so it's a good plan to return to it. Carry On Gently :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben