Hello!

georgialouise
georgialouise Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone! :D

I am new to the forum today and I am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.

I am 21 years old and I have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, diagnosed at 18 months old. Mainly in my ankle joints, but now spreading to my hands.

I am currently in the process of applying for a blue badge due to the cartilage in my ankle wearing thin, and i have been advised that my ankle is slowly but surely fusing quicker than expected. I experience extreme pain within my flare ups, making me unable to walk. I have applied for a blue badge previously and I was declined due to not getting breathless when I walk. I often wonder if my condition gets overlooked due to being so young, and also being so smiley.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation, and could offer any advice on applying for a badge?

Thank you in advance,
Georgia x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Georgia,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've been having a tough time.

That's an interesting question - do people dismiss you or find it hard to recognise you as a chronically ill person if you challenge their notion of what one should look like, by being too young or presenting as "too happy"? I suspect others on this forum may recognise that from their own experience.

You may find it interesting to post on the Young People's forum on here for shared experience of the reaction younger people with arthritis receive. Follow this link to find it: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=10

I don't have personal experience of applying for a blue badge, but hopefully members who do will be along to give you some advice.

best wishes and keep us posted with how you get on,

Ann
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Georgia. I have a great deal of sympathy. I wasn't diagnosed with RA until I was 15 but I remember finding buses a nightmare as people were shoving me off quicker than I could manage. I was young and looked OK so they assumed I was OK.

I think Blue Badge applications vary from one place to another. My renewal is more or less automatic now because I get higher rate Mobility Allowance but the idea of needing to get breathless is ridiculous. One of my pet beefs is that I can't do cardio work to get breathless becasue I can't walk far enough or fast enough.

I wonder if CAB could avise before you apply again. They're usually very good with benefits. Actually, after writing that I just checked and they have a page on being refused. Try here and good luck :D
    https://tinyurl.com/hrnmz57
    P.S. My ankles fused themselves years ago. very painful while it was happening but brilliant now m0150
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What a ridiculous reason for refusing you a BB considering they are handed out like sweeties to those without mobility issues :x That's really irked me.

I agree about your youth and smiliness working against you, as far as the ignorant massess are concerned you are far too young to have an 'old person's disease' so you cannot possibly be cheerful. I am now 60 and am frequently told I cannot be as ill as I claim because I am so cheerful to which I reply that my mother drummed it into me that ill-health is no excuse for bad manners. I do not see it as a reason to be grumpy, surly or ungracious unlike many healthy people who take it as a personal affront when illness dares to interrupt their active lives. Morons and twerps. :lol:

I urge you to do some research and then reapply: do you use any walking aids so there is at least a visual reference to your difficulty? I understand that it's probably the last thing you wish to do but I know from experience people are generally kinder when they clock a stick, crutch or rollator. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I got a blue badge for my daughter when she was 16. At the time she had cancer and couldn't walk 3 yards without needing to rest.

She also got higher rate mobility so the badge came with that.

She is well now after hips surgery nd a new shoulder bone so doesn't need it.

I am pretty sure its the distance we can walk not whether we get breathless! and I think it's something teeny like 20 yards!

Odd really when the average blue badge parking space is way further away than that!

Best of luck

Toni xx

Oh PS! I always suggest people take someone with them for their assessments - a witness and also someone to speak up for you if needs be (I doubt you need this really, but I does help) and an extra 'ear' to remember what is said.
  • georgialouise
    georgialouise Member Posts: 5
    Morning all,

Thank you so much for all your lovely responses and support. It is so comforting to hear that other people have been through similar situations. I most definitely feel reassured that if I have any arthritis related issue, here is the place to discuss and everyone makes you feel most welcome! :D

I have sent off my application so now I am just awaiting to hear back, fingers crossed!

Thank you again!

Georgia x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright