Living with arthritis at 17

Eliane27
Eliane27 Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Oct 2019, 08:28 in Living with arthritis
Hi my name is Eliane. I just want to tell you my story, i joined this forum in the hope that i can chat with people that can relate to what i am going through.

This is my story:

-When i was 6, i started limping the doctor said that it was nothing and that it would go away with time.

At the age of 7, i moved to france and i continued limping, it got to the point that i couldn't walk.
So i went to the doctors to get a xray done, they said that i had osteochondritis (left hip, my left leg was 1,5cm longer that my right)
The doctors said that i should stay in a wheelchair in the hope that i would get better(ended up being 3 years), it didn't work.
Next i stayed in a bed for 2 weeks with strings attached to my legs hoping to improve something, it didn't work.

So in 2011 i had an operation, they put metal with screws in to my hip. It worked well i was in less pain and i could walk.
A few years later they removed the metal, i started doing sport again, i was a lot better.

But in december 2018, i was diagnosed with hip arthiritis grade 4 (not a lot of cartilage left)
I had to stop doing sport apart from cycling.
It was really hard because sport is a big part of my life, it's a passion.
On some days i was in so much pain i had to go around colege with crutches.

So i have decided with my parents that next year in august when i turn 18, i am going to get a hip replacement.
Some people might think that i am too young, but in my opinion the most important part of your life is when your in your 20's. You travel, go to university, find a job... I just don't want arthiritis to limit what i am able to do at that age. I want to just have fun like any other young adult.
Hopefully when i get my hip replacement, i will stop limping, gain full mobility in my lef hip, stop having pain and i will be able to start sport again.

Sorry if my post was a bit long 😀

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Eliane and a big welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for sharing your story and don't worry at all about it being long! It's good to share stories on here.

I imagine you've probably done lots of reading up about hip replacement already, but here is a link to the section on hip replacement surgery on the Versus Arthritis website. There's lots of info about all aspects of the surgery and recovery:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

You may also find the Young People's forum on here a good source of help, support and friendship. You can find it at this link:
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=10

Good luck with your surgery, if you do go ahead. Keep in touch with how you're getting on and how you're feeling and do feel free to ask questions on here!

best wishes,

Ann
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Eliane, Thank you for sharing your amazing story. It is an inspiration - correction YOU are an inspirational. Sadly you aren't too young to have this awful disease but the way you are facing it shows courage and fortitude. If you go ahead with the hip replacement surgery I hope it is successful. I'm sure everyone looks forward to hearing from you again with good news. t4591

t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    No need to apologise, Eliane. Your post wasn't exceptionally long, just usefully informative.

I hadn't heard of osteochondritis in the hip though we did used to have a member with osteochondritis dissecans in her knee. Is that, broadly, the same thing? (Her username was 'elainebadknee'. If you wish to put her name, or 'osteoarthritis dissecans' into our search engine you'll find former posts.

I googled it and found that the rest you were prescribed is, indeed, the regular treatment. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but pleased that the plates did albeit only for a while.

I had new knees when I was 35. By then I'd had RA for 20 years. It didn't stop me getting a degree and generally having a great time at uni but, after the birth of our first son, things went downhill - and continued after the second was born. No number three :lol:

I can see your point in wanting a new hip while you're young enough to take full advantage of it. It sounds as if you've already found a surgeon willing to perform the operation (I'm guessing a private one as I doubt an NHS one would on one so young) and talked over all the pros and cons with him.

You seem to know your own mind so, if that's what you want, then go for it and don't look back :wink: It certainly wouldn't have been my choice at your age but, if you, your parents and your surgeon are all on the same page, I hope it turns out very successfuly for you and lasts for longer than previous treatments.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You sound very determined to life life to the full but a new hip (or new anything) is not the perfect answer especially when one is so young. The problem comes with revision operations, these happen when the replacement needs replacing (and that will happen).

My cousin's wife had a knee replacement aged 18 thanks to having bone cancer. There was no quibble about her age because it was cancer. She is now in her mid-fifties and in dire trouble because she has not looked after her three knees, the orignal then the two revisions (every time a revision is done more original leg bone is removed and of course it runs out). She is now facing an operation to remove the abused knee, her healthy knee is now shot with OA after taking the strain for so many years but surgeons are unwilling to replace it as she will effectively be one-legged.

You are of a similar age as she was, and may well be able to realise some of your ambitions, but you should think about the future because it will come. Replacement joints are not as good as originals and these operations are not handed out like sweeties. Have you found a willing surgeon? I ask because you seem to think that once you are of age it will be done at your request but be prepared to be turned down. All too often life is not about having what you want when you want it, it's much more about making the best of what you have, using the ABC: adapt, believe, compromise. I had to learn that when I was younger than you (asthma had three goes at killing me between the ages of seven and eight but inhalers, somethng everyone now takes for granted, weren't created until I was twelve).

Exercise is possible as long as it is non-weight bearing hence the recommendation to cycle. Swimming is also good but I am sure there are restrictins about whch strokes can be done with a replaced hip. I hope you get what you want and you make it last for as long as you can, good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Morning, I have had oa since I was young but never knew it until I was 25, I just thought I was unfit and couldn’t do things. We must all learn to cope because in the end we have no other choice and all our coping mechanisms will be different, exercise is a great help to stabilise joints and slow wear down. Acceptance is a constantly moving goalpost with our emotions rolling along behind our conditions, just remember that in the dark times, nothing is forever, not even that level of discomfort. I’m over 60 now but can still enjoy most of the things I used to but at a slower pace.

Right I have to go and get my electric bike out to go and buy some kippers for lunch😁
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello it's lovely to meet you :)

I am sorry you need your hip done at 18.

My won daughter was diagnosed with leukaemia at 16 and as a result ended up with Avascular necrosis in her left hip and ight shoulder.

As a result she had hip surgery at 18 and a new shoulder at 19. She knows she will need revisions in the future, but like you was in far too much pain and lack of mobility to wait, suffering, any longer.

She is really pleased with her outcomes and I very much hope you are too.

Best of luck

Toni xx