Rash

AmyAcorn
AmyAcorn Member Posts: 29
edited 22. Oct 2019, 08:22 in Living with arthritis
Hi

I was wondering if anyone else gets rashes near any of their joint when they are painful? I occasionally get a tiny one on my wrist when my hands are painful but today I've developed quite a big rash and my hands are in agony.

Is this something that I should be mentioning to the rheumatologist when I see him/her in December?

Thanks 🙂
Amy

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Amy,

Welcome to the forum, lovely to meet you.

You have a rash and I’m guessing you have an autoimmune type of arthritis which has recently become much worse. I would be inclined to ring your rheumatologist nurse on Monday just to let them know as they are the people who know about you and your meds.

If you look on the website www.VersusArthritis.org you can search for your type of arthritis for comprehensive information or indeed to see if any of your meds can be the cause of your rash. If you get stuck I’m happy to find a link for you

I hope it all resolves itself soon, do let us know how you get on as I’m sure there will be others affected as you are and in need of advice

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • AmyAcorn
    AmyAcorn Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for your reply Yvonne

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have rheumatoid arthritis (had it for 8yrs). I used to be on DMARDs but haven't been on them for the past 4 or so year (personal choice at the time, al be it probably not the best one lol). Although now everything has gotten much worse over the past 4 months I am hoping to go back onto a DMARD. I currently take Naproxen, gabapentin and a low dose of cocodamol.

Amy x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Amy,

Dmards are scary but they do help control the disease and sadly it does need controlling. Rashes can be meds but also RA so you need to be seen by those who know what they’re talking about. Give them a ring, maybe they can see you a bit sooner than December.

Do keep us up to date!

Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We can't diagnose but I suggest your take your rash to your GP. The meds you're currently taking will not deter the disease and that's probably why you're flaring. Diagnoses of autoimmune forms of arthritis aren't always precise so, if you have a rash, it might be that you actually have PsA not RA. In a sense it doesn't matter as it won't make any difference to treatment but both require DMARDS. I hope you can get it sorted long before December.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    That's really interesting I am sure your consultant would want to hear that.

I often take pics when of things which are likely to be 'fine' by the time I next see a medic. Just an idea.

Best of luck with the flare

Toni xx