I’m 29 with rheumatoid arthritis

Sammy1990
Sammy1990 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I’m 29 and have rheumatoid arthritis I’ve had it since I was 15 and started in my toes my mum thought I was tryin get time of school.. untill she took me the doctors and fount out it was rheumatoid arthritis, i didn’t really think nothing of it at first with me been so young. They started me on methotrexate which made me ill so I never took it so I just got worse especially my knees and shoulders. I couldn’t even walk I was that bad. So they tried me with gold injection and been on that ever since which is really good.. and now cause that’s not been sold any more they have started me on a new medication tablet form only started it yesterday so got see how it goes.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sammy and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

So sorry to hear about your rheumatoid arthritis. As you say, Gold injections, also known by the brand name Myocrisin, are no longer being manufactured. What replacement disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARDs) are you trying now?

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Sammy and welcome from me too.

I, too, was diagnosed at 15 but that was a long time ago now. If you look a bit lower down on the 'Say Hello' forum you'll see a thread by Bex97. She is new, in her twenties and looking for other young people. Maybe you two could help each other.

I feel I ought to commiserate about the gold injections but really there are better DMARDS on offer now. I was on gold years ago. Now I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

Please join in anywhere you like. Living With Arthritis is the most popular forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • georgialouise
    georgialouise Member Posts: 5
    Hi Sammy!

I have just come across your post and would like to think I can relate to you. I am 21 with RA, diagnosed at 18 months.

I too have been on Methotrexate and it made me super poorly, with my hair falling out in clumps, and it brought my moods down drastically as a result. I have since tried a few medications but due to such a bad experience, I am struggling to take anything at all. I have been prescribed sulfasalazine and hydroxycholoroquine but I can't say I have had any luck in taking them.

What medication have you been prescribed instead? And how are you getting on? :D x