Help

Stan613
Stan613 Member Posts: 5
edited 26. Oct 2019, 07:39 in Living with arthritis
Hello,
Managing pain when walking weight-bearing is my problem, opiates have produced unwanted side effects. Tumeric seems to help and ibuprofen. I just wondered if Capsaicin is worth a try.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Stan
    Welcome to the forum. You don't say what type of arthritis you have,sorry you are going g through a lot of pain at the moment we all understand what you are going through as we all have various levels of pain to deal with, if you could be more specific to what type of arthritis you are suffering from it would be most helpful to answer your question more fully. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It sounds from what you have not said as though you have osteoarthritis, the most common form of the dross. Pain is part-and-parcel of whatever kind one has and learning to live with it is key. Nothing will completely ease the pain, even the medically-prescribed stuff merely dulls the sharper edges, nothing will prevent the deterioration of the joint or joints, managing it comes down to pacing oneself, rest and recovery, minimum pain relief, eating a sensible and balanced diet. I strongly recommend using walking aids when the leg joints are affected as they improve balance and stability, thus reducing the strain on the joints which can slow the possible progression. I am in my 23rd year of psoriatic arthritis and osteo was diagnosed back in 2011 so am familiar with the issues you mention. Never underestimate the placebo effect of the junk that's peddled by the con artists and rip-off merchants, if what they flog worked this forum would not exist. It does because they don't, simples.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hello Stan and welcome. Capsaicin is a topical treatment and some people do find it helps .This link from Versus Arthritis gives more information
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/capsaicin/
    Whether you would be able to get it on prescription may be hit and miss, depending I suspect on local budget decisions - perhaps worth discussing with your GP though before buying yourself?