hi ya.i am shanti, i have osteoarthritis in my knees

Options
shanti
shanti Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
hi again, i thought i would join this forum to hear about your stories and to not feel so alone as i have realised that people who dont have this do not really understand the pain and the low spirits that i sometimes have when my body cant walk as far as it could before... i know it says that i should be walking as much as i can but there is a limit and i try not to visualize my bone on bone knobbly knees coping as best they can but sometimes feel really sorry for myself. i have recently joined a belly dancing group as i want i bit of fun in my life,as at the moment i am afraid its all doom and gloom for me .. only temporary i am sure as i usually pull myself out of these bouts of low spirits. my daughter thinks i am putting it on. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Shanti
    welcome to the online community it is lovley to have you hear. You are right this is the perfect place to be to share with people who understand what you are going through. Yes indeed we all have days or periods of time when we feel low and they can be difficult to manage. Joining a belly dancing group sounds like a great idea.
    We do have some great information about managing emotions that you might find useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/emotional-well-being/
    Our members are wonderful and I am sure they will share their experiences with you. Let us know how you get on and if you want a general chat Val's cafe in the chit chat forum is a great place to join in
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I too have OA in my knees, also in my ankles and hips. Once upon a time I didn't but things change, yes? I completely understand no-one else getting it, why would they? I don't get living with cancer, or Parkinsons, or anything else because I have no experience of them but the trouble with OA is it's so common people do not take it seriously. The pain is debilitating both physically and mentally.

I started my first arthritis when I was 37 and then OA was diagnosed when I was 52. I am now 60 and used to working within the restrictions the disease imposes. When the OA was diagnosed I plunged into depression and to this day take a small daily dose of an anti-depressant to help me cope better with the dross. The belly dancing sounds fun and I hope it's not too hard on your knees. Do you use any walking aids? I do and have since 2002, they help me do more and go further, they also let others know, when I am out and about, that I am not fully mobile. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben