Pip assessment on Thursday feeling apprehensive

Jules70
Jules70 Member Posts: 65
edited 8. Nov 2019, 13:48 in Work and financial support
Hi All

I have my pip assessment on Thursday at 9AM,I’m feeling very anxious about it .
Not really sure what to expect but keeping everything crossed it goes ok.
Since applying for pip, I’ve been diagnosed with tricompartmental arthiritis in my left knee and also have meniscus tear which I’ve been told won’t be operated on due to degenerative nature of it.
In last 18 months I have gone through a lot and have been off work now for9 weeks struggling to walk and in severe pain .
My knee pains started out blue 18 month ago and past 18 month have been nightmare ,I’ve lost so much money in lost wages had 5 month off work in past year half.
I had steroid injections yesterday and am now waiting for physio to commence in 2 weeks.
I’ve never had so many medical appts and feel they are highlight of my life at moment.!!
My husband is supportive but at times feel he fed up of me moaning about my knees all time.
I’ve been trying find other jobs whilst been off as I’ve always worked in care jobs and am now struggling doing that type work because of my bad knees and mobility .
I’m been struggling coming to terms with diagnosis and the changes that come with it very hard emotionally and I feel isolated cut off from people .
I’ve always worked full time now having rely on benefits which is all new to me .
I feel people don’t understand something they can’t see think it’s all in your head .
Unless you’ve been through it yourself .

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There are numerous posts on here explaining about the assessment process. The main thing to do is to take someone into the assessment with you and make sure that they have a notebook, whether or not they take notes or doodle is neither here nor there but it is not a bad idea if the assessor thinks that notes are being taken. Make sure that you are clear about how your condition(s) affect you on your worst day. Good luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck, Jules :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    A few points perhaps worthy of consideration -

The assessment process is less focused on specific diagnosis and more on how it impedes your 'activities of daily living' | mobility.

Additionally, the assessment process attempts to corroborate statements made on the application form.

The assessment is considered to have begun from the moment the assessor calls your name - i.e. they can take into account and submit observations regarding your mobility and related factors en route to (and from) their office.

They will ask how you travelled to the assessment centre. Hence it is worth keeping in mind the distance between from where you parked or were dropped off and any distance limitations to your mobility that you stated on the form.

Unless you have stated on the form that you do not drive they will certainly enquire about it and any adaptions made to the vehicle.

I hope this is of interest.

Good luck with it.

Arthur
  • Jules70
    Thanks Guys for your help and support will let you know how it goes 😃
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I hope it went better than you feared - now comes the nail-biting wait. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jules70
    Hi All

Went for my pip Assessment yesterday kept me waiting for hour ten minutes before being seen.
    Hard to say how it went was asked lots of questions and interviewer seemed very sympathetic and understanding .
    The process took about 50 minutes took my husband with me for support but let me do all talking .
    I was on crutches and interviewer watched me walk in and walk out of assessment room.
    My husband dropped me off outside door and sat in waiting room afterwards until he went get car to the front of centre.
    I’ve received an email from pip today to say they’ve received the report which states I will get decision within 6 weeks time period .
    Just the agonising wait now if I’ve been successful keeping everything crossed 🤞
    I will update you all as soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That was a long wait, wasn't it? I was on time but my assessor took twenty minutes to read through my form before I was called in - the kind of preparation that I would have done the night before but I guess that's my lack of experience of working within the state system on display.

I found it a straightforward thing as we merely went through the form I had filled in (and she had read) but my answers tallied because they were truthful. I hope you are feeling relieved it is over but now comes the hard bit, the wait . . . .

Thank you for letting us know - I would offer to keep my fingers crossed but I am sure you understand that is an impossibility! Good luck, I will keep thinking of you and hoping. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    Thank you for the update.

Arthur