Lumbar fusion question

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 15. Nov 2019, 08:48 in Living with arthritis
Hi!
Not sure if anyone remembers me as I haven`t posted for quite a while. I have been ticking along quite well for a while, no more pain than usual until earlier this year when I started to have increased pain in my back again.
I was born with bilateral hip dysplasia, and have had both hips replaced. One of the replacements has dislocated 3 times, which was awful! I was diagnosed with arthritis in my spine about 4 years ago , degenerative disc disease, and had an anterior lumbar interbody fusion at L4/5 3 years ago. This surgery did reduce my back pain until this year and I have had x rays and an MRI which has shown that an area higher than the fusion at L2/3 has gone the same way. I had a CT bone density scan on Friday and go for my results with the Neurosurgeon this afternoon. I am expecting him to discuss further surgery, and wondered if anyone has had subsequent fusion surgery after a single level fusion ?
Thank you
NB

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi nearlybionic, sorry to hear you've been experiencing increased difficulties this year. I don't have any personal experience of issues like yours, but I'm bumping your post in the hope that if there are any forum members with similar experiences they will see it and reply.
    best wishes,
    Ann
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi NB. Welcome back! Of course I remember you but I'm afraid I've had a busy week and only just seen your post. Not that I'd have been any use if I'd got here earlier but I do hope all went well and you're happy with whatever the surgeon suggested.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    HI Ann & Sticky
    Hope you are ok? good to hear from you x
    Thanks for your replies. My appointment was not the best. My spine is in a mess, another disc has gone, and the vertebrae have crumbled trapping nerves, there is a bulge pressing on the spinal cord too. Then the disc which was fused 3 years ago has a problem, which is either loose screws , or rejecting the hardware.
    The Reg said there are 3 problems, and the surgeon had said he would first inject a nerve to see if this was what is causing leg pain, and if it worked he could do surgery on the new area- ? another fusion, but this would be complex as it looks like the 1st one will need re operating on. Then thee consultant came in and seemed to do a 180 and said to refer me to a colleague for assessment for a spinal cord stimulator (SCS) I asked what he suggest I do until I am seen by this person with regards to the pain I am in and he said , he is not a magician! I know this and don`t expect magi tricks, just honest answers! I am very upset and confused about why his Reg said they had discussed one plan and he came in with another? I am annoyed with myself as I have so many questions now for him, but it is too late! I am seeing my GP this week to discuss it all and see about a possible 2nd opinion.
    I worry that the SCS will mask the further damage happening in my spine, that is if it works for me?
    So many things to ponder!!
    Thanks
    NB
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi nearlybionic. Welcome back, we do indeed remember you.
    a010.gif

So sorry to hear of your continuing troubles. If for nothing other than peace of mind, seeing your GP to discuss the proposed treatment sounds a good move. Also to see if you can get all the questions answered that you thought of after seeing the consultant.

In case you haven't seen it, I found this information from NHS Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital on Spinal cord stimulation:

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/perioperative/pain/spinal-cord-stimulation.pdf

Brynmor
  • nearlybionic
    HI Brynmor
    Thanks for the link, I have been doing a lot of research and did see this one too. Very clear information.
    I will see my GP and hopefully feel more positive, as at the moment I am not feeling very good emotionally at all. Pain does this to us!
    Thanks
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It certainly does, NB. As does thinking we're headingin one direction, psyching ourselves up for it and then finding a u-turn crops up. Whatever does happen I hope it helps a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hi NB, It’s only reasonable to assume that if you have an operation for fusion that there is less mobility in your spine and such a issue requires more movement elsewhere as you’ve found which may have consequences? We never get anything for free.

I have similar problems and will wish to hang on for as long as I can before any surgical treatment. How ever there comes a time that pain and discomfort cannot be ignored. Take care.

For now some light exercise seems to stabilise the pain.