Revision of Existing Hip Replacements

Options
GSW
GSW Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Nov 2019, 07:08 in Living with arthritis
I've consulted the Helpline over the years and found it extremely helpful. Now I've joined the forum as I seek info. on a topic that is not explored in any real detail elsewhere (I wonder why.....). That is, revisions of existing hip replacements, a topic that I now need to understand fully.
In my case at, a young (M) age (57 yrs) I had a ceramic on ceramic replacement following over 10 years of considerable pain, discomfort and excuses such as, "you are too young". Years of anti-inflammatory drugs probably contributed to heart attacks and finally, a triple by-pass in 2000 along the way.

That hip replacement (yes, I've had two) operation was carried out by an improver who did not do the job properly and I have suffered ever since. I say 'suffered' directly as a result of, what I now know, to be 'Anterior Iliopsoas Impingement': quite serious pain in the groin and having to 'lift' that leg up to get in the car/bed.

The X-rays now show wear and perhaps loosening. This after 16yrs.

Now, the system is quite happy to report that the success rate of first replacements is about 95 - 98% successful. But those same sources are strangely silent on revisions of existing replacements.
Well, that's my story. Any comments and/or suggestions would be welcomed.

As an aside, my second ceramic on plastic was carried out professionally October 2017 by the NHS and since? No problems whatever. Difference? My area in Wales is not a 'Teaching Hospital'. I'll say no more on that subject, the implications will be obvious.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi GSW and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm sorry to hear you are now needing a revision of your existing hip replacement. Having one go gradually wrong must be extremely painful. We get regular questions from those having a hip replacement operation for the first time but not many for a second operation on the same hip.

Hopefully there are some among our members who have had a similar operation and can recount their experience.

There is a guidance leaflet from the NHS on Revision Hip Replacement Surgery if you haven't already come across it:

https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/patient/a_patients_guide_to_revision_hip_replacement_surgery.pdf

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Oh dear sorry to hear this. I’ve not heard of anyone personally who’s had this so hope you get replies. I had one done 4 years ago text book apparently but then have had trochanter bursitis ever since. That’s been bad enough at times although less now. Have the pleasure of other hip being replaced next Spring. Hopefully lightening doesn’t strike twice? Good luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too. I've not had a hip revision but I have had a knee revision and I guess some factors will be similar ie longer op, ongoing risk of infection, longer implant, need for bone grafts etc. Having said that my knee revision is still perfect after about 10 years. Not that I give it much welly as I've had RA for most of my life, both hips and knees replaced and I ensure I give as much of me as possible good, regular, boring :roll: physio exercises. I found a couple of articles on hip revision. One is American but Americans have hips too :wink:

https://www.dchft.nhs.uk/patients/departments-G-O/hip/Pages/Hip-Revision.aspx

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/r/revision-hip-surgery.html

I guess you've now discovered the hard way why they don't like to do new joints on younger people – they wear out and need replacing often at an age, and state of health when that is more tricky. I now have one THR and one TKR which will not be replaced unless it's a total emergency.

You say your second op was “ carried out professionally”. I hope the first wasn't done by the local butcher :lol: You write of 'an improver' but I've never come across the term. I don't actually understand your final paragraph but, if you're worried about who might perform a revision all I can say is that my local hospital – a very good one – is not a teaching hospital so wouldn't deal with revisions so I'm now under the care of an orthopaedic surgeon about an hour's journey away.

I don't think there's any great mystery about revision surgery: it's just not very common. I hope the links will help a bit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright