Six weeks post op

Motherofdragons
Motherofdragons Member Posts: 10
edited 12. Nov 2019, 05:27 in Living with arthritis
Hello. I’m new here and am looking for some advice and maybe some reassurance. I am 46 and had a total hip replacement six weeks ago after eighteen months of pain and immobility. The operation has been a success, I have been very lucky. I am pain free accept from my incision point which is still sore and my mobility is returning. I am getting my life back slowly.

However, I am still very tired. I can not get through the day without an afternoon sleep!! I feel lazy, but by 2pm I just can’t keep my eyes open! I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? For context my sleep before my operation was awful. I was getting about 3 or 4 hours a night of broken sleep due to the pain from my arthritis. In the last week my sleep at night has really improved. I’m sleeping more and am getting better quality sleep. Yet I’m still sleeping in the afternoon.

Am I being too hard on myself? I’m just wondering what other people experienced. I do have children at home that still need me and that’s not been easy.

Many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum, it’s great to have you join us.

I’m glad your hip replacement has been a success, fantastic news, your energy will return, don’t worry. You had 18 months of struggle with lack of sleep and with mobility issues. You can’t expect to get over that so soon. You need to concentrate on your exercises to get your leg strength back, keep up your sleep routine which sounds like it’s working at night. Maybe give yourself a regular nap time in the afternoon, eventually you won’t need it though it could be a boon to have a little break from the rest of the family once a day!

Here’s our leaflet about hip replacement

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

Let us know how you get on, take care
    Yvonne x
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Hi. Six weeks post op is still early days to recovery. I was like you and it’s quite normal. Listen to your body,do regular post op excercises,rest and nap. Eat well with plenty of fluids. I’ve got it all over again in the Spring but at least I know what to expect.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, think it's early days, especially if you're trying to do a lot for your family. Did you have a spinal or a general? Anaesthetic takes a long time to get completely out of the system. And painkillers don't help in that respect.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It often takes years to reach the point where surgery becomes an option yet people expect recovery to be a matter of days. Six weeks is nothing, six months is more realistic. I think I read somewhere that optimistic period for full recovery from a knee replacement is around a year and that is a complex joint. Hips are straightforward but it will still take time. You thought life was tough before? Nah, now comes the real challenge of being a patient patient whch is far, far harder to be and to do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Motherofdragons
    Motherofdragons Member Posts: 10
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. I appreciate your reassurance that my tiredness is normal. I always expect too much from myself. I had a spinal and sedation, so I can’t blame the anaesthetic, I assume it’s just all part of the recovery process. I’m going to listen to by body and do what it tells me.

Many thanks
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I’m going to listen to by body and do what it tells me.

Try anyway :wink: We're all inclined to break good resolutions but, long term, you'll be glad you were easier on yourself. Try a bit of this :animal_busy:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright