The 'Triumphs' thread

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wishing you all the best for next Tuesday DD, Let's hope it leads to a very fruitful relationship with your new personal trainer.
    h045.gif

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you, Kathleen, in some ways it is daunting starting again from scratch but I know from experience that stamina-wise things will improve quite quickly, a reward in itself. It's always easy to find the time and motivation for the things one wants to do but far harder when it comes to diet and exercise. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    DD, go for it.

I did a few weeks back. Physio, actually. On the one hand I couldn't believe that the mnimal exercises with only 5 repetitions of each every other day ( :o :? Yup) would do anything but, on the other hand, I have every faith in this physiotherapist so I ploughed on minimally :lol:

I can already see improvements and I'm now up to 10 repetitions of each every other day. And feeling pleased :D What's not to like?

I wish you all the success you had last time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, we've met and he didn't run to the hills screaming (am I losing my touch?) A tentative programme is in place with our first official session next Tuesday, at 8am, in the gym. My aims before then are to complete three walks up and down my road, possibly one around the block and some floor work.

I am also having my BP reviewed at the moment so obviously this gentle and controlled increase in activity can only be beneficial. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    My preparation for Tuesday is underway, I am doing planned, short walks, some of the exercises I used to do but none of the floor ones yet - too early for those! I will wear my ankle weights on tomorrow's walk which will, of course, be a short one. I might even carry my hand weights. :shock: Strewth!

I don't want to live life differently, merely better. I am sure that sensible, planned and patient exercise is the way to achieve that. DD
  • stickywicket
    Me too, DD, and well done you! I hope the ball and chain bit went well :wink: Slowly and gently does it.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Bag packed with water, Dextrose, hand towel, hand gel for me and the trainer plus anti-bac wipes for the equipment, pain relief, inhaler and a padlock.

I am apprehensive but loking forward to getting back on the cross trainer. Did I just type that? Later this morning we are off to the solicitors to sign our wills so I had better take things steady so that gets done. :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    :o Please tell me you're not planning on padlocking yourself to the equipment. i think that would be a bit too ambitious :wink:

Seriously, I am so impressed with your resolve. That alone is worthy of this thread let alone what you actually achieve. Well done!
    Steven Wright
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    I hope your session went well and that you will not feel too tired and your joints and muscles don't complain too much. I know when I recently returned to pilates I had more pain on day 2 and 3 post return.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Cheering you on, Dreamdaisy :D

Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you Sticky, stellabean and Brynmor for your support and encouragement. Once there I forgot all about the hand gel and anti-bac wipes and was straight on the cross trainer. 90 seconds later I was off it. :lol:

My trainer had thought about what we were going to do and wanted me to start on what I knew and felt familiar with in order to gauge where we went from there. We did a great deal of resistance work (he made suggestions, I resisted them :wink: ) but it suited me and my current level so we know where we are going from here. I shall keep up with my short walks (with or without weights) and The Spouse is going to help with the resistance work. My next session is booked for a week on Thursday at the same time.

We then signed our wills. That has not been an easy or pleasant process but now it is done and the relief is palpable. DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Once there I forgot all about the hand gel and anti-bac wipes and was straight on the cross trainer. 90 seconds later I was off it. :lol:

That's good. That's how my physio was with me recently. Start so minimally that it's hard to believe it will achieve anything but, by building up very, very gradually, we do. I can now stand for 10 seconds on one leg (alone) which looks like a slalom course. Gradually does it.

The Spouse is going to help with the resistance work.

Well, let's face it, they have years of practice :wink:

My next session is booked for a week on Thursday at the same time.

And we'll be there with you :D
    Steven Wright
  • N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 160
    Today I drove into town to the supermarket to get a bottle of wine and a magazine, I could have managed without either to be honest but I always used to do the weekly shop myself in my wheelchair. (I get it all delivered weekly now, which is more economical and better for the environment).

I was greeted like a long lost friend. It's been nearly 18 months, 16 since I was diagnosed with OA My elbows are giving a bit of grief but I think it was worth it.

Life drawing tomorrow in a nice warm studio with friends.
  • dreamdaisy
    Well done, getting out and about may be difficult but it is worth doing.

My patient approach to yesterday has paid off so far, today has featured minimal payback. If it lasts, lovely, if it doesn't it's no big deal. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    i made it in today (complete with my new resistance bands) feeling very unsure as to what I might be able to do due to very inclement ankles, knees and hips. I managed to do just over half of my alotted hour so not too shabby.

The main focus today was on upper body work as the lower body was not functioning as it could, even by my low standards. We came up with a nice range of seated resistance band work which I will tackle again on Saturday. Onwards and sideways! :D DD
  • stellabean
    well done DD I am jealous I had to miss out on pilates today as I tweeked my back yesterday lifting the kettle off the cooker could you believe it, but I hope it will settles down enough to go next week.
  • dreamdaisy
    I am sorry, these things are so easily done aren't they? A momentary lapse in concentration and days of misery result. I hope things ease soon.

My Christmas tree is nearly done: my residual 'fitness' and my work with Tom over the past fortnight has brought an immediate dividend! :lol: DD
  • stellabean
    Thanks DD they have a bit. Went for a walk on Sunday and ended up taking on a pack of 6 scramble bikers on a footpath and winning. There is a large number of bridle paths and footpaths in our rural area which seem to have attracted a group of scramble bikers. They frequently turn up at the weekends and fly around the village using the tracks even though they should not and riding their illegal bikes on the roads like idiots. OH and I met 6 of them on a footpath that is so narrow you have to go in single file and I refused to give way to them. After their leader trying to tell me they were on a bridle path (which they weren't) I pointed out to him that they were breaking the law being on it even if it was. Following a shouted argument they were made to turn around and go back the way they came.
    I am pretty sick of these yobs tearing up the paths some so bad that the farmers can no longer use them to get to their stock and they are impassable to walkers. I contacted the police who seemed surprised that I had stopped the gang and even more so that I managed to get them to go away. I also contacted the council and now they and the police are going to work together to target the bikers. My job is to check on a sunday morning if their van is parked just outside the village and phone the police so they know they are about.
  • dreamdaisy
    Well done for standing up to the miscreants. I don't know much about rural law but I always associate bridle paths with riders of horses, not stupid bikes.

I am dealing with Christmas decoration payback by doing less and resting more. Happily it is now cheese o'clock. :D DD
  • stellabean
    we get our tree this year and OH always decorates it but he is going to have his work cut out for him. Our daughter has a new kitten and it is a horror it uses my loom like a cat tree climbs onto the banister like a gymnast on a balance beam, my daughter and I are taking bets on how long it is before it takes to the tree.I think the special ornaments will stay in their boxes this year for their safety and OH's nerves. I can see some funny times ahead, though the kitten Esme or Gitten depending on behaviour does know the word NO she doesn't always want to hear it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Stellabean

When mine have been kittens I have always avoided ornaments on the lower branches. It might help!

best of luck and fun times ahead :lol:

Ellen
  • stellabean
    Thanks Ellen I think Esme is going to be a climber she is so fearless,but also a bit of a thief as she loves to pinch small items and carry them around.
  • stickywicket
    I'm feeling smug. I've just recommenced my exercises which succumbed to the same virus as I did just before Christmas and so went by the board.

I'm still not exactly full of energy but I thought 1st January sounded pretty compulsory so, despite getting a casserole ready first, I managed to do them before settling to lighter tasks.

Not the full whack. After a lull I always take a step or two backwards to ensure I don't do more harm than good but I've done 3/4 of each one so, yes, smug is the word. (Exhausted is the other word :lol: )
    :animal_busy:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Congratulations, Borders Smug; Suffolk Smug here who also recommenced her exercise programme under the guidance of TLT (The Lovely Tom). He cheerfully admitted to doing nothing over the festive period which was comforting as neither had I.

We focused yesterday on upper body mobility from a seated position and it was a successful session. Much learned, much to remember but, most importantly, much to do regularly if I am to truly gain and maintain. DD
  • stickywicket
    Oh the gaining and maintaining!

Followed by the recalcitrant body's swift losing.

Followed by gaining and maintaining and swift losing and gaining and etc etc.

Come on, DD. We can do it (whatever 'it' is 8) :lol: )
    Steven Wright